Charlotte, NC
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Jandy Aquapure 700
I'm getting conflicting opinions on setting up my pool / spa with a specific spillover mode vs having an "always on" spill over mode, which is how it is currently set. Hoping to get a second opinion on here on which is "better". My pool has an integrated / recessed spa, where the water spills over 2 full walls of the spa (~16 linear feet). My plumbing map out is attached.

The company that did my pool startup and set up my automation set it up to have an "always on" spillover. When my filter runs, water comes from main pool skimmer/drains, and returns to pool and spa @ 30% open. No water comes from the spa drain. They suggested running spa mode (no heat) for an hour a day to help run water through the spa main drain to help keep it clean.

The pool builder said he typically sets up his pools to have a specific spillover mode (aqualink dip switch S1-3). Water comes from Pool drain/skimmer and returns only to pool returns. A separate spillover mode would have to be set up to run in the day (not certain on water flow for this -- water from Pool Drain/Skimmer goes 100% to spa returns?) in order to recycle the spa water into the pool.

The pool maintenance company said its easier to keep the spa clear of algae with the "always on" spillover mode since its always recycling with pool water for my type of spa.

Any thoughts on this? I tried searching and didn't find this exact discussion covered.

Attachments

• Pool Plumbing.jpg
    Pool Plumbing.jpg
    19.1 KB · Views: 56
Reactions: TBThePoolBoy
We agree with your pool builder.

My spa spillover runs twice a day at 9AM and 2PM for 15 minutes to refresh the spa water and put new chlorinated water into it. That gets chlorinated water into the spa at the start of the day and then replaces any lost chlorine with fresh water in the afternoon. That is more then enough to keep algae out of the spa.

Running the spillover continuously will cause aeration which will cause rapidly rising pH. You will find yourself needing to add acid very frequently.

Anyone who shows up here with a continuously running spa and automation we suggest they enable their spillover function.

We agree with your pool builder.

My spa spillover runs twice a day at 9AM and 2PM for 15 minutes to refresh the spa water and put new chlorinated water into it. That gets chlorinated water into the spa at the start of the day and then replaces any lost chlorine with fresh water in the afternoon. That is more then enough to keep algae out of the spa.

Running the spillover continuously will cause aeration which will cause rapidly rising pH. You will find yourself needing to add acid very frequently.

Anyone who shows up here with a continuously running spa and automation we suggest they enable their spillover function.

Thank you! That's what I had thought.

Can you confirm what the water flow is when in Spillover mode? That's the one thing I wasn't certain on. Is it water from Pool Drain/Skimmer AND Spa Drain > Spa Returns or water from Pool Drain/Skimmer > Spa Returns?

Wow.. so helpful. My pool builder set up my aqualink RS with aux 3 turned off. They had the spa spilling over 100% of the time. I’ve been fighting high PH and calcification buildup on my black pool tiles. This morning, I flipped the aux 3 switch and the spillover mode works! Now I need to setup an automatic spillover a couple of times per day to keep the spa circulating.

Reactions: Jimrahbe
Wow.. so helpful. My pool builder set up my aqualink RS with aux 3 turned off. They had the spa spilling over 100% of the time. I’ve been fighting high PH and calcification buildup on my black pool tiles. This morning, I flipped the aux 3 switch and the spillover mode works! Now I need to setup an automatic spillover a couple of times per day to keep the spa circulating.
Welcome to TFP.

Glad you found us and can already be helpful.

Reactions: sbillertpa
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.