To Bury or Not to Bury an Above Ground Pool!

Yes, my pump is below water level but the top of my filter is above. So it will depend on several varibles, size, type of pump, plumbing, distance, and features. I'm not the expert on those, hopefully someone else will jump in and answer, or you could start a new thread in pumping station.

regards
We have bought intex ultra frame pool 32x16 and this year is AG... but
Next year will probably do something similar to what appears on the video link.
Let's make some changes and instead of putting the wooden walls are going to do a retaining wall of concrete blocks and soil will also be a concrete slab.
I understand that in fact this kind of bury the pool is like a AG, as it is not in contact with the ground.
It's like we put the pool within a larger pool.
What you think of this solution for this type of pool?

Here is the link...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0LfPDIrhxiQ

Nice solution, it's still an onground pool though not above ground. Might want to make sure you have drainage or a sump pump for leaks or heavy rain. The one in the video looked like it was a sandy soil so drainage probably wasn't a problem. But a concrete pit would hold water, why not make the slab and block the pool? I know there have been several builds on here that have used those materials.

Exactly. the problem with the solution of the video where I live is that the wood would rot with moisture and would have another pool between the pool and those walls (with odors, bugs ...)
block walls do not have that risk and the idea is that the concrete floor, but outside of the supports has a slope that permits direct the water and take out with a pump or a drain.
I think this solution can be 5k € vs 20k € if was a "real" in ground pool.
If in 5-8 years there is any problem, you can put a new liner with low cost (1k€)

I installed my AGP below ground this summer (a 22' x 52" round ProSeries pool).

I dug a pit, and built a brick retaining wall. I have between 2" - 8" of clearance between pool liner and brick wall all the way around for maintanance access. Including equipment rental, all parts, pool kit, and lumber for deck around it I'm about $6500 into it. Pool sticks up above ground about 14".

I wouldnt just back fill dirt around it, but a brick casing wall was the idea that made the most sense to me.

Hello everybody. I've read the post. We are about to bury an AGP. Can someone recommend an oval shaped pool? A professional will be installing so does anyone know an average price that I should expect. Guys who started this post in 2008, any regrets? Thanks for the thread it's been great to read

Not sure what size you are looking for but I just bough a 12 x 24 doughboy desert spring for 4,000 delivered to my door. Just the pool, 25 mil expandable liner and the skimmer. I bought equipment from amazon. Wet will not be burying ours but my neighbors did and they love the doughboys

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Hi Everyone..We finally pulled the trigger today after two years of being on the fence. We live in South Florida so our ground is full of sand. We bought a doughboy, which I researched and found its one of the better brands especially for agp's in the ground. After we left the pool store, we ran over to check out a hot tub store. The manager just stuck a knife in my head. He told us, the pool would only last in ground 5 years tops, and we would get grass and roots through the bottom of the pool liner. He suggested we spend a bit more money and buy a fiberglass pool instead. We aren't wealthy people, but we don't want to throw money away either....It seems like everyone on here had a great experience with dropping agp's in ground.....Please share your thoughts....Brian

Well, I'm no expert on burying pools...but I can't see how you'd end up with grass through the bottom of your liner on a buried pool? I mean, you don't end up with grass and roots coming up through as standard above ground pool, so...???

We have a doughboy. Not buried, but we do have a deep end and expandable liner. This will only be our 4th year and so far, so good...but maybe some long-time owners can chime in to re-assure you?

There are +/- to everything...we tried to do a lot of research when purchasing our pool and we feel pretty good about our decision. It fit our budget, and all of the incidental things that go along with a pool (decking, etc) really do add up. And you can certainly have problems with any type of pool.

Hopefully you will hear some more positive stories on here from people who have buried pools!

All the best!

UPDATE: Well, it's been eleven years since we had our Doughboy installed. Scott and I designed and built our deck around the pool a year or so after the pool install. It turned out beautiful with the large deck and paver walkway from the house to the pool. I think I put links on this site on another thread of all three builds. The deck was the doozy, but we were still married at the end of the summer, when we finished the project (whew!). We had wedding cake steps in the pool, but decided to go with the ladder so we can leave the steps out when the pool is not in use. We had to have the liner and top rails replaced after the 4/11/2016 hail storm destroyed it (softball size hail). The pool still takes care of itself pretty much. We have the same 2-speed Pentair pump from the pool build and it's as good today as it was the day we installed it. We run it 24/7/365 on low with very minimal electric usage. We have the same sand filter that actually survived the 2016 hail storm and we've never had a problem out of it. In all, we invested just over $10K eleven years ago and have not had to put any more money into the pool or the deck. BBB is ongoing and can't be beat. I convert everyone I can every chance I get and direct them to TFP. We love our TROUBLE-FREE POOL and hope to still have it another eleven years....at least!

@Cherie, Would you mind updating your first post in the thread with pictures? Photobucket has changed their policies since you posted photos of your pool build and it is password protected. You should be able to post photos directly to TFP now.

UPDATE: Well, it's been eleven years since we had our Doughboy installed. Scott and I designed and built our deck around the pool a year or so after the pool install. It turned out beautiful with the large deck and paver walkway from the house to the pool. I think I put links on this site on another thread of all three builds. The deck was the doozy, but we were still married at the end of the summer, when we finished the project (whew!). We had wedding cake steps in the pool, but decided to go with the ladder so we can leave the steps out when the pool is not in use. We had to have the liner and top rails replaced after the 4/11/2016 hail storm destroyed it (softball size hail). The pool still takes care of itself pretty much. We have the same 2-speed Pentair pump from the pool build and it's as good today as it was the day we installed it. We run it 24/7/365 on low with very minimal electric usage. We have the same sand filter that actually survived the 2016 hail storm and we've never had a problem out of it. In all, we invested just over $10K eleven years ago and have not had to put any more money into the pool or the deck. BBB is ongoing and can't be beat. I convert everyone I can every chance I get and direct them to TFP. We love our TROUBLE-FREE POOL and hope to still have it another eleven years....at least!
This has been such a helpful thread-thanks so much for starting it! I would love to see your pictures, would you mind re-posting them? Thanks again!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.