Kannapolis
Pool Size
Surface
Fiberglass
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Jandy Aquapure 700
Probably wouldn't have found this out if I weren't a nail biter (first beneficial thing ever to come from this nasty habit). If I stick the tip of a damaged finger in the pool there's a definite shock. If I stick another appendage in I feel nothing. Same if I stick my whole hand in deeper with the damaged finger tip I feel nothing. I turned off the breakers to the lights, swg, and pump; still feel it. Turned off main breaker to the house, still feel it. Pool is in backyard far from utilities, pretty far from neighbors. Any ideas?

It sounds like a bonding issue.

Have you changed anything recently, removed a ladder or changed a ladder, changed the pump or done any excavation around the pool or equipment pad. Anything changed has the potential to effect your bonding if not properly done.

Anything that can conduct electricity within (roughly) 3 feet of the pool should be bonded. Bonding insures that the electrical potential of these objects is equal. If one object has a higher potential (voltage) then electricity flows. Almost everything in the world has some electrical potential, so pool bonding just makes sure that one object is not higher than another, so there is no flow.

Here is a nice article to read.

Reactions: Mdragger88
It is very important that you not use the pool until you track down the source of the stray voltage. You should contact the local electric authority and tell them you are having a stray voltage problem and have them do a check. Are the electrical lines buried or overhead? I'm going to ask some of our experts to give their opinion.
@Bama Rambler @JohnT @JamesW

This happens sometimes and it can be extremely difficult to find/fix.

Some people never find the cause.

You should have a good electrician with pool experience check everything.

This happens sometimes and it can be extremely difficult to find/fix.

Some people never find the cause.

You should have a good electrician with pool experience check everything.
Thanks, the fact that i could feel it even with all the breakers off is a little scary. No idea where it could be coming from.

The part where he drops a live wire in the pool is interesting because it shows that bonding does not make things safe.

It shows 10.35 amps of current flowing through the wire into the pool and then into the bonding grid and probably most of the current returns to the utility transformer secondary neutral through the equipment grounding conductor to the neutral bar in the house and then to the utility secondary neutral.

Even with bonding, the current flowing through the system is very high and the voltage gradients are also high.

Someone exiting the pool would be at highest risk touching a bonded handrail that was not touching the water because the human body would become the path between the water and the bonded handrail.

1623638515316.png

The part where he drops a live wire in the pool is interesting because it shows that bonding does not make things safe.

It shows 10.35 amps of current flowing through the wire into the pool and then into the bonding grid and probably most of the current returns to the utility transformer secondary neutral through the equipment grounding conductor to the neutral bar in the house and then to the utility secondary neutral.

Even with bonding, the current flowing through the system is very high and the voltage gradients are also high.

Someone exiting the pool would be at highest risk touching a bonded handrail that was not touching the water because the human body would become the path between the water and the bonded handrail.

View attachment 345044
He makes me want to remove my pool lights :)

It sounds like a bonding issue.

Have you changed anything recently, removed a ladder or changed a ladder, changed the pump or done any excavation around the pool or equipment pad. Anything changed has the potential to effect your bonding if not properly done.

Anything that can conduct electricity within (roughly) 3 feet of the pool should be bonded. Bonding insures that the electrical potential of these objects is equal. If one object has a higher potential (voltage) then electricity flows. Almost everything in the world has some electrical potential, so pool bonding just makes sure that one object is not higher than another, so there is no flow.

Here is a nice article to read.

No changes, thanks for the article.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Maybe this is a dumb question but do you think that you might be feeling a PH type of difference with your open wound in the water? Maybe its not electrical?
Just a guess....
This is a good point, and easily ruled out. Simply pull out some water in a bucket, take it well away from the pool and stick the injured finger in the water in the bucket. If the same feeling is felt, then it's not electric but a chemical reaction with the injury.

Reactions: Mdragger88
Maybe this is a dumb question but do you think that you might be feeling a PH type of difference with your open wound in the water? Maybe its not electrical?
Just a guess....
It is very unlikely the tingle is caused by pH differences. Every time you touch that water you are risking electrical shock and possibly death depending on what else your body may come into contact with while you are in contact with the water. You don't want to become the path of least resistance that completes the circuit.
I'm saying "you" to mean people in general.

Just a guess....
I don't think so. I only feel it if I stick just my fingers in near the surface. If I stick my arm deeper or jump in with my whole self in the pool I don't feel it.

View attachment 345044
But he wasn't on a GFCI... that's why we use them.

Mike Holt knows his stuff.

Thanks, the fact that i could feel it even with all the breakers off is a little scary. No idea where it could be coming from
It could be natural differences in the ground state. For example you may have a grounded fence and a grounded pool ladder, but if there is a slight difference in charge between them (caused by soil composition, buried utilities, geography, whatever), you could get tiny currents across them. It is my understanding that is is what bonding does. It ensures that everything near your pool has the same ground state. Could be harmless, could be a very big deal. Don't risk it, get someone competent to check it out.

So this morning i could just barely feel it, and this evening i can't feel it at all. My theory is that since it hasn't rained since Sunday the ground is becoming less conductive. Does this make sense? Still trying to find an electrician that knows pools.

Sounds plausible.

Unless you find an electrician with a beard and suspenders, good luck finding one that will actually make sense of it. The fact you had the main breaker off and could still feel it would probably put it right out of most electricians' league or effort level.

I'd probably start with your friendly local pool shop that installs pools and get a name of an electrician that does their pool work and is a wizard. At least get the bonding checked out.

Definitely sounds like the pool isn't bonded properly, causing voltage potential differences.

Reactions: Shirker and drsipe
Just a guess from a medical professional. Your skin is compromised with soft tissue abrasions.
Any chemical penetrating the area may cause a nasty burning sensation or shocking feeling. Just my .02

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support