LifeTime Supporter
Jul 14, 2011
St. Paul, MN
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
I recently installed a Hayward MaxFlo variable speed pump so I am no longer using my Intermatic T104P201 mechanical timer to control my pump. The Intermatic timer has a fireman's switch that I had been using to control my Raypak natural gas heater.

I was planning to continue using the Intermatic timer to control the heater via the fireman's switch with my new pump installed, but I realized that the Intermatic timer only opens the fireman's switch for some short period of time before the main switch turns off. I had thought that as long as the main switch was off on the Intermatic timer that the fireman's switch would also be open, but this is not the case.

So, if I want to use the fireman's switch to control the heater I would need to very precisely synchronize the Intermatic timer with my variable speed pump's built-in timer, which I think is too tricky/risky to do.

My questions are:
1. Is it possible to control power to my 110V heater with the Intermatic T104P201? This is a DPST timer, but it maybe has a spot to hook up a neutral wire?
2. Are there any simple digital, low voltage timers that I could hook up my fireman's switch to? I believe the wire from the heater for the fireman's switch supplies 24V. I like the idea of controlling the heater through the fireman's switch so that I am not completely powering off the heater.

If you manually turn your heater on/off, why not just use a breaker to provide it power and then manually turn it on and off when you need it?

There should be no issues completely powering the unit off as people do this all the time. In fact id you have the mode set to pool or spa and power it off, it will come back to that same place when you power it back on.

I would like to avoid having to manually turn the heater on/off. I would like to automate when it turns off so the heater has a chance to cool down prior to my pump turning off.

My questions are:
1. Is it possible to control power to my 110V heater with the Intermatic T104P201? This is a DPST timer, but it maybe has a spot to hook up a neutral wire?
2. Are there any simple digital, low voltage timers that I could hook up my fireman's switch to? I believe the wire from the heater for the fireman's switch supplies 24V. I like the idea of controlling the heater through the fireman's switch so that I am not completely powering off the heater.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.