Time to upgrade - Pentair 011018 IntelliFlo Variable Speed?

May 4, 2017
Austin Texas
Going into the 3rd summer of ownership of a pool. I think the original owner just signed on the dotted line and move forward. Our electricity bill is constantly high and I believe the route-cause is the pump.

Net:Net I have it in my mind to change out the pump. The pool is ~13,000-14,000 gallon with a 2" suction line from the skimmer and/or main drain with. Currently a single speed Jandy 1.5 pump and a Jandy CL460 Filter. I do have feature valves like a water fall (seldom used) and bubble jets (never used). Currently the pump is set to run around 6hrs to run through a full cycle.

Main goal is to safe on electricity as much as possible. The pump is close one edge of the pool, maybe within 30ft -

Thoughts on the Pentair 011018 IntelliFlo Variable Speed and is it worth it over the Superflo Vs? What am I not thinking about?

Thanks in advance for the assist.

L,

If you have 2" plumbing your should get the IntelliFlo.. The 011018 is a great pump. The only downside is that the control head can't be rotated. This means that you have to stand at the motor end to read the panel. This is backward for about 80% of the installs I have seen. The 011018 is no longer being manufactured and the replacement is the 011028 which does have the rotatable control head. But I am sure will cost more.

I run my IntelliFlo 24/7, most of the time at 1200 RPM for less than $20 bucks a month.. But, to be honest, I would not think that 6 hours a day on your current 1.5HP pump would the main reason for your high electrical bill... :scratch:

Side note... If you want to be called by your first name, rather than your screen-name, just add you first name to the beginning of your signature..

Thanks,

Jim R.

A VS pump will save you enough money to pay for the higher price. I’ve continued to be impressed with the quiet sound and energy savings. Also, most municipalities will offer a rebate on purchase/install of a VS pump.
I have the Pentair IntelliFlo 2-VST (011055), which is effectively the
011018 with a rotating screen-but difficult to find online as it’s a “trade-grade” model, I also have been really happy with my old pool’s Hayward TriStar VS SP3200 (now 3202)-1.85hp.
I’m jealous of your TX energy prices.

Note. This comment is updated from the original, when I was still using a pressure side cleaner with a booster pump. The old cleaner is in the attic, replaced with a robot using barely a fraction of the power the old cleaner did (Intelliflo had to be at 2900 plus the booster pump.) Below reflects new schedule and pump speeds.

My Intelliflo VSF is programmable for many--but not all--features via the Intelliconnect box and a PC/iOS web page/app. Besides giving access to run, schedule, and customize settings, it also displays the watts being used at any speed. Some examples: at full speed of 3450 rpm, it draws 2506 watts. Stepping down, here are readings at various other settings: 2900rpm-1499 w; 2000rpm-420 w; 1800rpm-346w; 1700rpm 288 watts and (ta da) at 1300 rpm, 111 watts. So my program runs the pump now from 10am-7pm at 1300 rpm and from 1am to 6am, when my electric rate is low, at 2000. Point is, there is a dramatic, disproportional reduction in electricity usage with slower speeds. I think Pentair officially claims that cutting the speed in half reduces power usage to 1/8, and the reported power at 1700 rpm vs 3450 rpm would seem to support that. So running the pump longer at a lower speed is definitely a savings. I also use a schedule on the Intelliconect to run the water features on a Pentair Whisperflo pump for 10 minutes a day, just to keep fresh water in those lines. Side benefit, at 1300 rpm, you almost have to be standing over the pump to hear it.

Based on [updated] electricity usage as reported from my smart meter through my electricity provider, I think my total cost of running the pool is now down to around $25 a month, not counting natural gas when we (infrequently) use the spa. That includes that most weekdays, we turn up the pump, or use the water features, to have water noise during the end of the day wine hour. Considering that I've been "warned" for years that a swimming pool is going to cost $100 a month in electricity, I'm pretty happy with $25 a month.
Bill

Last edited:
What is the lowest speed you run your Intelliflo pump? My 1.85hp Hayward uses significantly less electricity based on rpm, compared to the 3hp Intelliflo. I’d like to run my Intelliflo pump at 600rpm to get the same wattage use as my Hayward did at 1200 rpm (70 watts approx), but not sure if flow will be ok—actually let me check and follow up.

Finally got a break in the weather and installed the new 011018 today. Super quite WOW!

Now I need assistance from the math guru's. The pool is ~13,000-14,000 and with the pump set @ 1050 rpm the FlowVis meter on the return side (after the filter) is registering ~30GPM. So, at this rate (if my math works) ~8hrs to turn over the pool once. @ this rate is there any negative to let it run at this rate 7/24? Trying to better understand saving vs. flow rate and if it matters when it comes cleanliness of pool . @ 2800RM the pool pushes 90GPM.

Should also mention the Zodiac CV filter air guage hardly shows any pressure when running at 1050

Last edited:
Turnover is meaningless. So do not worry about that.

As you use liquid chlorine, your primary reason to run the pool pump is to skim the surface. So run it at a high enough rpm and long enough to achieve that. Also be sure to add your liquid chlorine during the run time.

Or you can run it 24/7. Up to you.

What is the lowest speed you run your Intelliflo pump? My 1.85hp Hayward uses significantly less electricity based on rpm, compared to the 3hp Intelliflo. I’d like to run my Intelliflo pump at 600rpm to get the same wattage use as my Hayward did at 1200 rpm (70 watts approx), but not sure if flow will be ok—actually let me check and follow up.
KD, I just saw your reply. I think you were asking me...sorry for not getting back. The slowest I've run the Intelliflo VSF is 1300 rpm, at which speed it draws between 109 and 111 watts. I have socks on both skimmer baskets, and they both fill up each day with the stuff that flies around in SE Texas in the spring, so I think they have some draw at that low speed. However I clean them in the morning and only glance at the end of the day. Overnight the pump runs faster (when our electricity is much cheaper), so I suspect most of the stuff in the socks is collected overnight.
Bill

Thanks for the feedback. I got my flow down to 900, but my SWG’s flow meter wasn’t liking that. I’m back at 1200. I’m still tuning my overall pump need for SWG % to get the chlorine need met at the lowest possible pump run Time.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.