time to replace our cover! suggestions?

Nov 14, 2015
Chicagoland, IL
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
We have a Rayner solid cover with 2 mesh panels, anchors/springs, for our L shaped pool (37x27 on the long sides with as piece on the inner L/shorter sides wrapping around a spillover spa.

By it's size its a beast to put on and off. It's also super heavy, and very stiff. It takes up a lot of space for storing. Each spring after we remove it, we scrub it/hose it down to remove the dirt/debrs/algae that accumulates on the strapping (perhaps this is more work than needed?) and then leave it on the lawn to dry for several hours, meanwhile it's often killing the grass under with heat built up under the solid vinyl. As you can see there are lots of things I don't love about it.

The pool itself has an overflow outlet, I don't know how much outflows over winter. The pool is always filled to the overflow when open. I think I won't mind having to deal with extra dirty water or algae, as we usually don't swim the first 2 weeks after we open, while the water warms up. It has been nice that generally our water is pretty clear, with the exception of debris that gets dumped in the pool when we pull off the cover, and sometimes rectangles of debris on the pool floor aligning with the mesh panels. We usually end up opening end of may, regardless of water temp, simply due to family schedules during may. Water temp is usually almost 60 by mid-may.

I'm wondering if going with a full mesh cover will be easier to put on/off and move/store. Am I experiencing a "grass is greener on the other side" in regards to the down sides of a fully mesh cover?

What else should I be considering, given the size/conditions stated?
With a mesh cover, will the water warm faster in spring prior to opening?

IMG_3957 by Carrie, on Flickr

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.