Time to drain the pool...

GMTK

Bronze Supporter
Jul 18, 2019
San Antonio
We've struggled with our FC and TA. I was taking care of the pool this fall and this spring got busy and wife paid a local guy. I'm now trying to get everything back in check and have decided I need to drain it. Current test results from 5 minutes ago:

Using K-2006
FC - I can't even get it to turn pink after 6 scoops at 25 mL
PH - 7.0-7.2
TA - 70
CH - 500
CYA - clouded up almost instantly. I would estimate it from 700-1000

I tried inputting the numbers in the app and had all sort of issues; but it appears draining and replacing with fresh water is the solution.

I use liquid bleach and muratic acid when needed. I have NOT shocked the pool this year. We've had some crazy weather though.

I'm going to go ahead and drain 75% of the pool. Looking for any advice or guidance once I refill it with new water.

Thanks in advance.

It is hard to guess at a CYA like that, but you know it is high.

I assume you understand the risks of draining and are aware of the conditions that increase those risks.

Once you refill, let it mix for a few hours and then retest.

Just make sure you fill back up right away. Here in AZ it's not recommended to drain after April 1, just because our heat will cause the plaster to crack. A quick check of your weather shows high-80s to mid-90s so definitely refill fast. And as you say draining is really your only option at this point due to the high CYA.

Once you refill, let it mix for a few hours and then retest.

Definitely let it set for a while before retesting. You my have enough stabilizer in your plumbing to prevent needing to add any.

Emptied the pool. Only got it 80% empty and had to start filling.

FC = 0
Ph = 7.0-7.2
TA = 130
CH = 300
Cya = 50-60

I’m cleaning the filters now.
Based on pool school - first thing to add is stabilizer? App says 8 lbs.

Any advice is appreciated.

You show your CYA of 60 ppm. So NO stabilizer is needed. Check the data you entered into Poolmath.

Add chlorine. Target range for FC based on FC/CYA Levels

What was the water like before you drained? Do you need to follow the SLAM Process?

Water prior was clean, but CYA was off the charts (I estimated 1000) and CH was near 500. I had trouble with CYA for months and made the call to drain due to this being the last chance before the heat kicks in and with my plaster being 14 years old and in need of replacement, I didn't want it dry in the heat for long.

When draining I noticed a little bit of algae starting to form at the bottom on a repaired crack.

NOT a salt water pool. I used liquid chlorine from wally world.

I have not slammed it - should I?

I have not slammed it - should I?
If you saw algae, you should. With such a major water exchange, hopefully the SLAM will go quickly. But don't increase the CYA. Increase the FC to "24" today, brush everything really well, then maybe do an Overnight Chlorine Loss Test. If you pass, great. If not, continue with the SLAM Process. We are experiencing another unusually cool (and windy) day today, but heat is coming. Still, I wouldn't add anymore stabilizer. A CYA of 50-60 should be good enough for quite a while.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
That has CYA in it. It is dichlor. It also has copper in it. I would suggest disposing of it or giving it away.

Use liquid chlorine.

Anything with dichlor or trichlor contains CYA, so you don't want that. Calcium hypochlorite products add calcium and you probably have hard water already so I would avoid that too. Stick with the liquid chlorine and everything will be fine.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.