Thread number 10000 on CYA and in-line chlorinator

Your CH is low and most likely your salt level is low as you do not have a SWCG. And you say the water temperature of the pool water and fill water are nearly the same.

Put the pump in the deep end and fill from the shallow end if your fill water is nearly the same temperature as the pool water, you have a saltwater pool, or have very high CH. Put the fill hose in the skimmer, if you have one, in the shallow end. If no skimmer, then use a bucket to put the water hose in and have the top of the bucket above the pool water surface. Be sure to secure the hose to the bucket.

You said you do not have a skimmer in the shallow end. So, you put the fill hose in a bucket with the bucket at the top step so the water you add is not overly disturbing the surface.

Balance the in and out flow rates.

Your CH is low and most likely your salt level is low as you do not have a SWCG. And you say the water temperature of the pool water and fill water are nearly the same.

Put the pump in the deep end and fill from the shallow end if your fill water is nearly the same temperature as the pool water, you have a saltwater pool, or have very high CH. Put the fill hose in the skimmer, if you have one, in the shallow end. If no skimmer, then use a bucket to put the water hose in and have the top of the bucket above the pool water surface. Be sure to secure the hose to the bucket.

You said you do not have a skimmer in the shallow end. So, you put the fill hose in a bucket with the bucket at the top step so the water you add is not overly disturbing the surface.

Balance the in and out flow rates.

got where to put everything. You mentioned salt. Why would I have salt in my pool? It’s a non-salt water pool. That’s a first I’ve heard I should have salt in my pool.

also curious how I balance my flow rate as I’d imagine even a 1/3hp pump pumps out significantly more than a garden hose puts in.

You have salt in the pool. You did not knowingly add it. Your fill water has some salt in it. Muriatic acid turns to salt, liquid chlorine turns to salt. So the salinity of your pool is above your fill water salinity.

On the flow rate, if you are using a hose to direct the effluent to your sewer cleanout, that rate will be around 5 or 6 gpm. A normal hose bib can keep up with that.

You have salt in the pool. You did not knowingly add it. Your fill water has some salt in it. Muriatic acid turns to salt, liquid chlorine turns to salt. So the salinity of your pool is above your fill water salinity.

On the flow rate, if you are using a hose to direct the effluent to your sewer cleanout, that rate will be around 5 or 6 gpm. A normal hose bib can keep up with that.
Makes sense. Am I looking to exchange out all 14,800 gallons? Or am I testing my water every few thousand gallons? What’s the best practice?

Wife isn’t home from Home Depot yet, so I’ll only be able to drain for about 8 hours today. I can’t drain tomorrow. Should I do it another day? Or drain/fill what I can today, note how many gallons it was, then run the pump tomorrow and check levels before draining again Thursday?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Got it, I just started it. If you could double check my math. The pump is draining at 5GPM and the pool is filling at about the same rate (5.2 to be exact). If I want to drain 60% of a 13,800 gallon pool, that'd be 8280 gallons. At 300 gallons per hour, that'd take 27.6 hours. So turn everything off at 27.6 hours correct?

Numbers look good. Over night you are better to be pulling a little more than adding so you do not come close to overflow. You can catch up on adding in the morning.

Once you are complete, restart the normal pool pump and let mix for a good 3-4 hours before you test. A good brushing or running the pool vac helps that too.

Numbers look good. Over night you are better to be pulling a little more than adding so you do not come close to overflow. You can catch up on adding in the morning.

Once you are complete, restart the normal pool pump and let mix for a good 3-4 hours before you test. A good brushing or running the pool vac helps that too.

I'll turn down the flow overnight. Lastly, an unknown number of that 8280 gallons should be draining the spa. At what point should I stop with the pool and drain the spa? The spa is 8 X 7.5.

I would do the spa first. But up to you. Spa is about 1000 gallons or less. I would not count it in the amount you drain from the pool. A little extra is good as the process is not perfect.

Just do the spa at the end. I assume your spa is isolated from the pool via valving.

Correct.....ok let's hope for the best. My understanding is the purpose of this method is to not expose the pebble tec I have to the sun via regular type of drain. My concern is this doesn't work and I end up having to do a normal type of drain and refill, thus wasting a ton of water with this method not working. It's only 75 degrees today and tomorrow. Should I just do a normal drain? Or trust this process?

It is to protect your plaster. You can do a conventional drain if you like. I use this process every other year. It works, but it is up to you.

If you go conventional, rent a sump pump from Home Depot. The drain will take under 3 hours. Fill will take 24 hours or so.

It is to protect your plaster. You can do a conventional drain if you like. I use this process every other year. It works, but it is up to you.

If you go conventional, rent a sump pump from Home Depot. The drain will take under 3 hours. Fill will take 24 hours or so.

I’m going to stick with it and hope for the best. I’ll keep you updated. Thanks so much for your help.

Trust your own test results. The Pool $tore wants to sell you tablets.

Do you have any challenges to doing a partial drain/refill?

Your CH seems real low for a So Cal pool that's had water in for more than a year. You either have super low CH water or you're topping off with a water softener. You might want to double check your testing method.

fyi I tested my tap water CH and it’s 120. Is that low for SoCal?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.