Georgia
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Jandy Truclear / Ei

In previous threads, I was recommended to run our SWG more often. What I decided to do is to run it 36 hours. Day, night, day. Then I stopped running at night and only run during the day for 12 hours.

My thought process was that this would increase the FC levels and then begin to maintain during the day, chlorinating as FC was burned off.

My most recent test reads 7.5 FC with the 2006. Is my method reasonable? I intend to test once or twice more before we leave for another vacation, but I’m hoping this has assisted my undersized cell.

What are your thoughts? I realize that 7.5 is a little high, but it gives me some confidence that I can back down from 100% potentially.

Open to any feedback or criticism of my thought process.

What are your thoughts? I realize that 7.5 is a little high,
How so ?

swcg_chart.jpg

7.5 is safely in target range for 50 CYA. And it gives you a little wiggle room for a particularly high UV day, a big storm, a power outage, or whatever else the universe decides to throw at you. I'd have it maintaining a 10 for even more wiggle room while you're away.

How so ?

View attachment 504929

7.5 is safely in target range for 50 CYA. And it gives you a little wiggle room for a particularly high UV day, a big storm, a power outage, or whatever else the universe decides to throw at you. I'd have it maintaining a 10 for even more wiggle room while you're away.
Thanks for that feedback, I really appreciate that. So it may not be a bad idea to shock before leaving after all.

From advice here, I realize shock isn’t a normal maintenance process for SWG pools, but I am trying to be conservative given our absence. Also we will have used the pool Friday to Sunday before leaving on Wednesday morning.

My plan of action is:
Run during the day Saturday-Tuesday
Shock Tuesday night and run overnight into Wednesday
Reset to running during the day until we return Sunday.

Anything else you’d recommend?

I think you got it. Start freeeeeeeeee and clear from minimum and then make a hair more than you will lose. When you come home and see how well 'running hot' worked, you might not stop. 😁
Testing tonight, it appears I’ve managed to gain 1 ppm in 24 hours. We will have a high load tomorrow, so it’ll likely drop down some, but I’m pleased with the results so far.

I think you got it. Start freeeeeeeeee and clear from minimum and then make a hair more than you will lose. When you come home and see how well 'running hot' worked, you might not stop. 😁
Apologies for the double post, can you explain how you measure one scoop of the powder for chlorine testing? Should it be leveled? Heaping? Doesn’t matter?

Shock Tuesday night and run overnight into Wednesday
Sounds like by 'shock' you intend to run your SWCG non-stop for 36 hours or so. While this can work - SWCGs aren't great at increasing your FC, but are great at maintaining. I always keep a gallon or two of liquid chlorine at hand for just these occasions, just takes a few minutes to add the required LC to bring up your FC quickly.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Sounds like by 'shock' you intend to run your SWCG non-stop for 36 hours or so. While this can work - SWCGs aren't great at increasing your FC, but are great at maintaining. I always keep a gallon or two of liquid chlorine at hand for just these occasions, just takes a few minutes to add the required LC to bring up your FC quickly.
I’ve got some extra bags of the granulated stuff I’d planned on using. I may back off of this plan if the FC levels remain stable

Reactions: PieterS
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.