Thoughts on concrete decking

Gods03

May 26, 2020
West Michigan
We have a signed contract for a build starting in two weeks. Our builder wants us to use his favorite, exposed aggregate versus a typical finish. Cost is essentially the same.

We are doing a vinyl rectangle (17X34), adding a tanning ledge that actually makes it 44’ and an auto cover for a very modern look. Just wondering if the aggregate will look strange with an modern looking set up...

Some folks don’t like how hot the aggregate gets and, depending on the smoothness off the aggregate, it can be rough on the feet.

Has he given you any other options like a brushed finish, acid-wash or salt finish? Is stamped concrete and option?

A lot of pool builders sub out the concrete decking to another contractor. If that’s the case, maybe inquire with the sub on options and cost.

Personal opinion - I’ve never liked the look or feel of exposed aggregate decking. I’d feel like if I’m spending money on a modern pool look, why would I choose a deck that looks old-school, run of the mill? That said, concrete decking ain’t cheap so he’s probably just giving you the cheapest install he can do without blowing up your budget....

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.