Thought it was easy

Ngarcia

May 24, 2022
Tucson
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Just had my pool replastered with micro pebble 1 mo. ago. Chemistry and levels were all within range until 4th of July pool party. I have learned I should’ve immediately shocked or raised chlorine levels. Alas, 3 days later pool is cloudy/green. I assumed it was algae based on the color of the “junk” kicked up while brushing. I’ve shocked the pool with crushed tablets cuz it’s what I had at the time. Pump running 24/7 with backwashes to bring psi back down 1-2 psi. Alternating between skimmer and “the pool cleaner”. My initial thought was poor circulation, 1 skimmer 3 flat jets and 9’ deep end. Main drain eliminated during replaster. Chlorine is at 25ppm 0 combined. Pool still cloudy/green. Thoughts to remedy? Appreciate all your help I’ve procured over the years.

Attachments

• 46F65240-8B52-48C5-A1FB-CDBEBE99D37B.jpeg
    46F65240-8B52-48C5-A1FB-CDBEBE99D37B.jpeg
    359 KB · Views: 20
To eliminate algae you need to follow the SLAM Process.
This entails raising fc to SLAM level for your cya (no more, no less) & MAINTAINING that slam level until u pass ALL 3 end of slam criteria listed in the linked article.
You are done when:

CC is 0.5 or lower;
You pass an Overnight Chlorine Loss Test
AND
the water is clear.
(Crystal Clear w/no algae dead or alive)

*Check & scrub every nook & cranny where it may hide (light niches, drain covers, ladder handrails, skimmer throats/weirs, etc.)
*Run slam level water through all water features & lines for at least a couple hours a day during the SLAM Process.
*Brush & or vac daily (this breaks up biofilms that algae uses to protect itself from chlorine)
*Backwash/clean filter when pressure rises 25%over clean pressure.

To properly perform the slam process you need a Taylor k2006c or tf100/pro test kit.
Pool Care Basics

Reactions: HermanTX
I am passing both the chlorine loss and cc parts of this process but the pool is still cloudy/green. Extensive brushing manually vacuuming filter running 24/7. What should I do next? Add DE to sand filter? Double/triple shock again? I’m still reading 20+ ppm with 0 combined.

That is great. Just checking -- that is why a Signature really helps us help you.
Post a full set of test results.
FC
CC
pH
TA
CH
CYA

Great -- yes the pH test is invalid with a FC above 10 ppm. Were these all done today?

I’ve shocked the pool with crushed tablets cuz
Those add CYA. Please use liquid chlorine.

Are you following the SLAM Process? Testing every few hours and adding liquid chlorine? Brushing / vacuuming every day?

Great -- yes the pH test is invalid with a FC above 10 ppm. Were these all done today?

Those add CYA. Please use liquid chlorine.

Are you following the SLAM Process? Testing every few hours and adding liquid chlorine? Brushing / vacuuming every day?
Those number were done this morning. I’m testing am/pm to monitor chlorine loss and brushing vacuuming 2x a day.

OK -- did you do the CYA test when your FC levels were at or below 10 ppm?

Are you still using the crushed tablets?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
OK -- did you do the CYA test when your FC levels were at or below 10 ppm?

Are you still using the crushed tablets?
Cya was taken after 10+ ppm prior to 10+ ppm I have been in the 40ish range consistently (5-6) testing intervals to “learn” the pool. I added tablets Thurs and not since. They are about gone and ppm has been maintaining 20-25 ppms since then.

Great. So you are having no FC loss, no addition of chlorine since Thurs, in Tucson, outdoor pool.

Be very sure the CYA is what you stated cuz if it's higher you're not slamming.
Great. So you are having no FC loss, no addition of chlorine since Thurs, in Tucson, outdoor pool.
@wireform - I am making sure I cannot see that black dot even the slightest. Sample taken from arms length deep in the deep end. If anything I think my CYA is slightly conservative.
@mknauss - I thought I would be in good shape but no improvements is thoroughly frustrating me. I’m at a cross roads of what to do myself or through in the towel and hire someone. I can’t believe I incapable of this but I’ve been wrong before, lol.

Is the statement I made correct?
It is literally impossible for a pool in Tucson this time of year to have 0 FC loss for several days. Impossible.

Reactions: joshuaj1975
Is the statement I made correct?
It is literally impossible for a pool in Tucson this time of year to have 0 FC loss for several days. Impossible.
I hear you. I added a tablet in the skimmer last night. I’m using a 25ml sample 1 drop/2ppms. So my numbers might be off +/- 4 ppms with 1-2 drop difference and titration interpretation. Being above 20 I wasn’t too worried about it. Tucson outdoor pool is correct.

OK - use a 10 ml water sample for FC testing. One heaping scoop of R0870. Each drop of R0871 to clear is 0.5 ppm FC.

Stop using tablets. They are adding CYA, and thus your CYA levels are changing. Use Liquid Chlorine only.

We like to see the pool blue and cloudy prior to using DE. But you can try it. Have you used any other pool store potions? Copper?

Please fill out your signature -- Create Your Signature - Further Reading

Reactions: Mdragger88
OK - use a 10 ml water sample for FC testing. One heaping scoop of R0870. Each drop of R0871 to clear is 0.5 ppm FC.

Stop using tablets. They are adding CYA, and thus your CYA levels are changing. Use Liquid Chlorine only.

We like to see the pool blue and cloudy prior to using DE. But you can try it. Have you used any other pool store potions? Copper?

Please fill out your signature -- Create Your Signature - Further Reading
Negative on the pool store magic bullets. Trying to follow TFP practices as it seems like a tried and true method that is like to follow. 10-4 on the tablets. I’ll hold off on De for now. I’ll keep on with the Slam process until blue. Thank you for the advice. I’ll update later.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.