Thoroughly Confused...

Jun 7, 2018
Scottsdale AZ
I have been maintaining my AZ pool with liquid chlorine for the last 5 years and had clear water for the most part. However, I have been constantly fighting a high pH and am now seeing quite a bit of scale buildup so had my water tested at the local store to see what TDS levels were to evaluate if I should refill.

The TDS came in at 4100ppm and the CH at 209ppm. The pool store recommendation was to refill as there was 'no more room' in the water for the chemicals to act and it would be cheaper to drain and start over again. Reading a few threads here seems to contradict that view so now confused as to how to proceed i.e. drain or no drain. Suggestions?

This sounds easy to fix, but the first thing you should do is get a proper test kit. Look for a TF-100 or Taylor K2006C. Once you get that and post your test results, the fix will come next. I tend to have high TA which can push up pH. Don't trust pool store testing. It's not difficult to do your own with a proper kit and the results will be way more accurate.

Paj,

I suspect that most of that TDS is salt... Chlorine adds salt to your pool.

The idea that there is no more room for chemicals is just Pool Store bull.

Post the results of your latest tests from your Taylor test kit.

Do you have any water features?

Where do you try to keep your pH? Most people try to keep it way too low.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.