This is great - Nextdoor some lady posted : every summer our pool gets algae. We have a pool man and he always has a reason.

ArsenalFan

Silver Supporter
Jan 29, 2021
Brea, CA
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
CircuPool Core-55
There are 67 comments about 29 are here is our pool guy, 3 take water to Leslies and they will give you some chemicals. 15 are blind suggestions with no idea what the pool chemistry is. One person asked if they let the dog swim because that could be the issue. 6 were pool guys that offered their help and gave their numbers. The best I can see is that only Melissa, Christine and myself are the only ones trying to get her to come to TFP. Hopefully, we'll see Teri W. here.

I read a lot of post like that from Hilton head. Now they are complaining the pool guys aren’t showing up.
Blows my mind that people think pool maintenance is a huge chore. I have told several convert to a SWG and get a robot and you would think I suggested they do there own open heart surgery “ I can’t do that, too much trouble “

I love Nextdoor. A few months back we had a panic post about needing to buy twigs/tiny branches for some kid project due the next day. She received many suggestions to go to Hobby Lobby, Lowes/Home Depot, etc.

We have a park running through our neighborhood with thousands of trees and even more twigs/tiny branches on the ground... 0 recommendations to take a 5 min walk. 🤷‍♂️

I love Nextdoor. A few months back we had a panic post about needing to buy twigs/tiny branches for some kid project due the next day. She received many suggestions to go to Hobby Lobby, Lowes/Home Depot, etc.

We have a park running through our neighborhood with thousands of trees and even more twigs/tiny branches on the ground... 0 recommendations to take a 5 min walk. 🤷‍♂️
If they are like the folks around Atlanta ( I dropped this account ) they would call you a tree killer for suggesting they pick up sticks off the ground. Sounds stupid? Yea, after arguing with a few over stupid stuff I distressed and just deleted that account! I do follow the one in Hilton head just to keep up with what's going on around our 2nd home.
They aren't quit as rude in north Georgia area

Reactions: JJ_Tex
I just figured out "nextdoor" is an app/website, I had no idea as I have never heard about it... Might have to check it out and see if anyone is on it near us... :)

I use nextdoor and thumbtack quite a bit for things I need to do that I don't want to do/maintenance/etc...*except* for how to maintain my pool....for that I came/come here....first time I googled something in relation to what levels should be it brought me here....now I lurk constantly. And I've never set foot in a pool store...nor will I....no need....

Reactions: markayash

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Nextdoor is amazing, haha. Today.....317 comments about if you should turn right on red.
How many people called each other names :)
the last straw for me was when a lady posted she was charged my a large dog and had to grab her small dog and kicked the big dog to get him away and somebody said " why did you kick him, how do you know he was going to attack you" I had a response to that jerk about what would you do, tell him to stop and asked that attack dog but deleted it and closed my account for here in atlanta.
I do still use it for hilton head, they seem more civil but still go off on " people going to " our beach" yea the one that has public parking and tax payers pay for :)

I do not comment on pool threads in NextDoor anymore. Last time I did, someone told me that if I was adding bleach every day in the summer (before I converted to a SWG), I was clearly an idiot and doing it all wrong because tablets were the only way you should be chlorinating a pool.

• Haha
Reactions: markayash
I need to look into this Nextdoor app. I do a little trolling and a mild amount of tomfoolery.
It is very different from neighborhood to neighborhood. My Houston neighborhood is an all-out complaint-fest- someone is ALWAYS bothered by something trivial. Last week, a kid scratched their name into some new cement on the road and there was a lynch mob ready to go find her and dispense some justice. And fireworks holidays? All-out Armageddon. And if you try to sell/freecycle something on the site? You'll get a million responses but none will ever show up in person.

In contrast, my Baton Rouge home's NextDoor is pretty laid back- mostly people sharing pics of their dogs/cats/the wild foxes that roam the neighborhood, and communicating the HOA's annual events (crawfish boil, July 4th parade, etc...). I only witnessed one flamewar and it was over someone not realizing a post sarcasm.

I wish I could take half of them to the other persons house and say " hey sally, this is bob who called you a dumb idiot last night"
To make it better sally is like Rhonda Rousey and is having a bad day :)

Truth is 99.99% of them would never say the stuff they say in person.
I have a thick skin, so it doesn't bother me.

Plus, I know for an absolute fact that HE was the dumb idiot, so I pour another glass of bourbon and watch them dispense the bad advice with the knowledge that MY pool will impeccably clear for the summer.

This is excellent validation for an observation I made the other day while browsing on Google Earth.

I was looking at the satellite view of my subdivision and I noticed that probably 50% or more of the backyard pools in my area (and there are MANY) looked to be swamp-like in color. I'm sure a few of them had dark plaster that made it appear that way, but it struck me that perhaps half of the people with pools around me don't bother taking care of them. And those people are probably the ones complaining that the mosquitos are bad.

One of these pools is across the street from me. Their neighbor said they hadn't run a pump in probably 7 years. I peeked over their fence once and that water is jet black, full of mosquito larvae, and smells something awful. Per HOA bylaws, if you have a pool it MUST be properly maintained. It's been reported but nothing has been done. Yet somehow, when my siding developed a small patch of mildew the HOA was on my butt like a honey badger. :rolleyes:

This is excellent validation for an observation I made the other day while browsing on Google Earth.

I was looking at the satellite view of my subdivision and I noticed that probably 50% or more of the backyard pools in my area (and there are MANY) looked to be swamp-like in color. I'm sure a few of them had dark plaster that made it appear that way, but it struck me that perhaps half of the people with pools around me don't bother taking care of them. And those people are probably the ones complaining that the mosquitos are bad.

One of these pools is across the street from me. Their neighbor said they hadn't run a pump in probably 7 years. I peeked over their fence once and that water is jet black, full of mosquito larvae, and smells something awful. Per HOA bylaws, if you have a pool it MUST be properly maintained. It's been reported but nothing has been done. Yet somehow, when my siding developed a small patch of mildew the HOA was on my butt like a honey badger. :rolleyes:
That why I saw them the next day “ honeyyyy, there is a strange person in our backyard pouring gallons on Clorox in our pool”

Reactions: ArsenalFan
If I lived in an HOA I would prob be in jail.

I go have to look up this little gem of an app. Looks like all kinds fun reading when bored.
You can do it for your area or neighborhood...If used correctly its nice.
had neighbors warn us about pine straw scams and car break in. Our direct neighbor's house cleaner pulled up and was unloading her car and they stole it. Nice to know when to be alert.
Just have to ignore the " did you see that new restaurant's sign, that's insulting lets burn the place"

Reactions: ArsenalFan

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.