Phoenix
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
CircuPool RJ-45
Following as I’m interested in a DIY install. Curious how they handle in the hotter AZ climates such more frequent cleanings or short life span. Just bought LC (3/22 Julian) and it’s already degraded to 5%. Doesn’t seem worth it at this point and I refuse to use tabs myself.

Cleaned my first one a couple times before I used softened water for make up water. Above 800 CH is hard to manage.
Now, no need. I keep my CH level under control.

Start your salt ppm in the low end. It will rise with acid use and from water added due to evaporation. But not quickly.

Reactions: proavia
End,

Why would you think that will happen??? The salt cell makes chlorine not salt... :mrgreen:

I have three saltwater pools and my salt level never goes up...

Thanks,

Jim R.
Just wondered since our water is so hard out here. If our city fill water starts saltier would ppm creep up too fast.

End,

Why would you think that will happen??? The salt cell makes chlorine not salt... :mrgreen:

I have three saltwater pools and my salt level never goes up...

Thanks,

Jim R.
That's cause you actually get rain there.
Here not so much. Our tap water has a bit of salt and adding muriatic acid adds some as well - along with people swimming.

Last edited:
Just wondered since our water is so hard out here. If our city fill water starts saltier would ppm creep up too fast.
Calcium chloride is a salt.
The salt level won't creep up too fast, but it's possible that it will increase in drier years. Our tap water adds a bit of salt as well. Chances are the level may increase 200-400 ppm per year, maybe more. When adding salt for a SWG, shoot for the low end of the range given - maybe even a few hundred ppm lower and see if the SWG is happy.

I just did a drain to lower calcium and salt levels. I dosed the salt to 2600 ppm and needed to increase it by 200 to make the SWG happy. I also have a water softener that is plumbed to my autofill, so I should easily be able to keep my calcium level in check.

Like any other parameter, the salt level needs testing periodically. Since you already have the TF-Pro test kit, you only need add the 2 salt testing reagents.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support