Thinking of converting

Jubenez

May 15, 2019
Indiana
Hello! We have a 30k gal vinyl liner pool in southern indiana. Currently we do not have a timer on our pump and it ends up running 24/7. My husband has agreed to add a timer this season. We are open and nearing the end of SLAM, just waiting for water to clear. This is my 2nd season of using TFP method but we have had the pool for 16 years. I am attaching a pic of our pump in case that helps.
I would love some advice on converting to SWG. What equipment would be ideal and what is the process to convert? Is it just a matter of installing the SWG, determining run time, adding salt? Is pump timer programmed separately from SWG timer?
Thank you!

Attachments

• 20200511_172313.jpg
    20200511_172313.jpg
    300 KB · Views: 17
  • 20200511_172322.jpg
    20200511_172322.jpg
    229.5 KB · Views: 16
If you add a timer to your pump, how long do you plan to run it? The largest SWCG available will need to run about 12 hours per day to chlorinate your pool during the swim season. If that is OK -- then install a SWCG.

Many members have been purchasing SWCG from Circupool. You would need the RJ60 unit. You would wire it to the same timer as the pump so they would go on and off together. You never want to have the SWCG powered when the pump is off.

I cannot tell from your picture, but you will need about 24" long straight run of pipe before the water returns to the pool (SWCG is to be the last device).

Running the pump 12 hours is fine. I haven't calculated how long it needs to run.
Where is the best place to get a deal on the RJ60? A quick search shows it is around $1500. A bit higher than I was thinking. Is this a good investment as far as cost savings or is it more for convenience?
Thanks so much!

Go to Compare and Review Saltwater Chlorine Generator Prices and Features
You can get a RJ60+ for the price of a RJ45+ plus $10. You can also compare other SWCG's on that page.
Only Circupool and Pentair make SWCG rated for 60K pools. That is what you need to only run it 12 hours per day. If you are OK with running your pump 24 hours per day, then a 40K rated SWCG is fine.

In general you will spend the same amount for liquid chlorine to chlorinate the pool over the lifetime of the SWCG. Though there is a huge convenience factor as you are not having to buy, transport, store, and add liquid chlorine to the pool. Adding is Every Day.

Eventually you will get a Variable Speed pump and then you can save quite a bit on electricity too.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.