Thinking about SWG - Standalone with existing or go with combo but less gph?

Jul 17, 2014
Lexington, NC
I have a 15' AGP with a 2500gph filter pump. I'm thinking about going to saltwater because of the chlorine shortage. I kind of wanted to upgrade my pump/filter to a sand filter at the same time that I went to saltwater. With SW generators running $150+ I thought it would be possible. But I'm only seeing pumps around 2150gph with saltwater on them in my price range. My question is how does sand filter vs catridge filter compare as far as gph efficiency? I don't want to settle for less gph just to go with sand if I can be just as effective with my 2500gph cartridge and adding a stand-alone SWG. I hope this question makes sense. Thanks in advance.

I assume you’re talking about intex equipment. The intex stuff is obviously inexpensive and underpowered, but it can work for smaller pools. One of the big disadvantages for the all in one unit is that there is no option to run the pump and the SWG separately on a timer. You can put it into a manual pump only mode, but if you want to use the timer it’s pump and SWG or nothing.

This can make it very difficult to balance the amount of chlorine you’re generating with the amount of filtering that your pool gets.

I would suggest getting separate units and I would also suggest getting the larger SWG designed for pools up to 15,000 gallons even though your pool is much smaller than that. The general advice is to get a SWG that’s rated for at least twice as many gallons as your pool,

Reactions: scout123
I assume you’re talking about intex equipment. The intex stuff is obviously inexpensive and underpowered, but it can work for smaller pools. One of the big disadvantages for the all in one unit is that there is no option to run the pump and the SWG separately on a timer. You can put it into a manual pump only mode, but if you want to use the timer it’s pump and SWG or nothing.

This can make it very difficult to balance the amount of chlorine you’re generating with the amount of filtering that your pool gets.

I would suggest getting separate units and I would also suggest getting the larger SWG designed for pools up to 15,000 gallons even though your pool is much smaller than that. The general advice is to get a SWG that’s rated for at least twice as many gallons as your pool,
Thanks for the advice!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.