Thinking about installing SWG this year, need help with choices

Is there such a thing as overkill with the water volume recommended? The discount salt pool site has upgrade option from the 45k gallon to the 60k gallon version for 4$ more. The 45 puts out 2lbs per day as the 60 is 3.1. And the difference between replacement cells is 694-794. So just wondering since I have a 20k gal pool is it possible you can over do it?

This comparing the RJ 45 plus and 60 plus.
Thanks,

p.s. I’m ready to pull the trigger so gathering up my final bits of info before I do. I’d like to stay under 1800 in total switch over cost. But willing to push 2k if it’s worth it. And with the 4$ upgrade offer they are having I can get the 45 plus for 1493 or the 60 for 1793. But I also would need salt and a good salt test kit. Digital would be nice.
Lastly a total game changer would be a Wi-Fi monitoring option if that is a thing.
TIA

Last edited:
I would go 3X in a heartbeat. The main cost is to get a unit. Going 20k to 40k gets double the lifespan for 20% more cost. Going 40k to 60k gets 50% more life for 20% more cost. So Going from 20k to 60k gets triple the lifespan for only 44% (compounded 20% of 20%) more cost.

At some point over 3X the electronics of the unit will fail before the expensive plates are depleted and you will be throwing out unused supply. It may even be before 3X but you only need it to last 44% of the 300% longer lifespan to break even. The maths is incredibly in your favor going larger if your budget allows.

Reactions: gingrbredman
Love to see posts about the big conversion! I love my SWCG, and have a bit over 3X my volume and couldn't be happier running it at 20% to get all the chlorine I need without lugging jugs.

But I also would need salt and a good salt test kit. Digital would be nice.
The best test kit for a salt water pool is the TF-Pro Salt with Smartstir, in my humble opinion. You can peace kits together, maybe save a few bucks here or there, but this one gives you all you need to really take control of your chemistry.

There are not really reliable digital options for testing, other than maybe a PH meter, but you have to get a good one, and be prepared to keep it calibrated. I have one and love it, take a peek around for some reviews, but you wont find any recommendations for digital testing of all the other components of your pool water. The testing is really easy with this kit.

Good luck!

Sorry, just saw you have a TF Test kit already, excellent choice, but for anyone else searching for the right kit, that link is still the best, of course in my humble opinion.

But for salt only, this one...

or this one, but it doesn't come with the fancy box or lid...

Reactions: Newdude
Before you pull the trigger on the SWG, you might want to consider the Inyopool Crystal Pure SWGs. They have a 60K option that is in line with your opening posts budget.
The earlier reference comparison chart does have some good information, but there are a couple of things that should be mentioned
1) It does not include all SWG options, as evidenced by the absence of the Crystal Pure SWGs and others
2) Discountsaltpool is Circupooll so the Value Score should be taken with a grain of salt especially since there is no explanation of how the score is calculated.

You could also select the RJ30+ and do the $4 upgrade to the RJ45+.
Being in DE your season is a bit shorter than in AZ, TX, etc.
You may also wish to consider removing the cell from the plumbing and storing inside when closing the pool for winter.

Is there such a thing as overkill with the water volume recommended? The discount salt pool site has upgrade option from the 45k gallon to the 60k gallon version for 4$ more. The 45 puts out 2lbs per day as the 60 is 3.1. And the difference between replacement cells is 694-794. So just wondering since I have a 20k gal pool is it possible you can over do it?

This comparing the RJ 45 plus and 60 plus.
Thanks,

p.s. I’m ready to pull the trigger so gathering up my final bits of info before I do. I’d like to stay under 1800 in total switch over cost. But willing to push 2k if it’s worth it. And with the 4$ upgrade offer they are having I can get the 45 plus for 1493 or the 60 for 1793. But I also would need salt and a good salt test kit. Digital would be nice.
Lastly a total game changer would be a Wi-Fi monitoring option if that is a thing.
TIA
With a VSP and the 45K and a 20K gallon pool, your needs should be easily met. You cannot really go "overkill" with the Circupool units as you can adjust the "output"(quotes cause output is fixed based on the equipment purchased, so the unit runs 5% of the hr) in 5% increment units. The advantage with oversizing is you can rapidly raise chlorine or "shock" the system with the bigger unit. I use the RJ60+ for a 35K gallon pool and it works amazing. Rarely ever need to add shock to the pool, mainly at startup and before close.

Since your pool is smaller, your likely fine with the 45K but one cannot really oversize the unit. The VSP helps too as you can just run your pump more hours at lower RPM's to generate additional chlorine.

Good luck and enjoy the new salt water generator, the Circupool SWG works great!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.