Thinking About Getting Rid of my Heat Pump. Bad Idea?

Dec 13, 2015
Surprise, AZ
Anyone have a heat pump to heat your swimming pool? Are you satisfied with it?

I've been on the fence for quite some time now to get rid of my 15YO Jandy AE-Ti heat pump (115k BTU, I believe) as it simply cannot seem to heat the pool with any significant strength. Running for 3+ hours and only raising 2 or so degrees seems ridiculous. And if there is any bit of wind, or if the night/morning is cool, then all bets are off! Pool size is very modest, 13k gallons and about 400 square feet.

What makes matters worse is that I think the unit uses R-22 so repairs, if needed, will be expensive and/or not available. Thinking about going with a gas unit with more beef. Yes, it may be less efficient, and more costly, but it SHOULD be much better and handling the task of actually heating the pool. Yes, I will need to include the cost of running a gas line out to the pool, and it also may require the gas meter to be upgraded, but there has got to be a better way than sticking with this perhaps undersized heat pump; it came with the house (and pool).

As you have discovered a heat pump in the dry Arizona winter cannot move enough heat into your pool to keep it swimmable . There's just not enough energy available in our atmosphere. It's great this time of year, my heat pump runs about an hour in the morning to keep the pool at 87F. But as winter approaches, I'll give up heating and set the temp to 58, just enough to keep the SWCG running. I guess a cover would help but I don't want the hassle of a cover. If I had nat gas available, I'd definitely switch or add. It will be MUCH more expensive depending on what you heat to in winter.

If you want on demand great heating you should switch to gas.

Reactions: JoyfulNoise
Your biggest problem is that the pool is uncovered. An uncovered swimming pool, in our dry climate with cool evenings now, can easily loose 6-8 deg F overnight. That is far more heat loss than an electric heat pump can handle. Also, as @scottts stated, the air here in AZ is simply too dry for a heat pump to operate efficiently. While our air temps can exceed 100F, there is so little moisture in the air that it makes it harder for a heat pump to operate efficiently. Heat pumps need humidity because water vapor is what holds the "energy" (latent heat) in warm air.

If you have natural gas available and the run length from your meter to the equipment pad isn't too long, then a gas heater will definitely give you more bang for your buck as the energy cost per unit of measure for gas (Therms) works out less than the energy cost per unit of measure for electricity (Watts). On an equivalent energy basis, gas is cheaper.

But, to go back to my first sentence, all of this moot if you don't cover the pool. Without a cover, you will waste A LOT of money no matter what your heat source is...

from what I understand about the heat pumps is they are supposed to be run/on 24/7 and it heats when needed.. You are using it like a gas heater and only turning it on 3 or so hours.. I also agree with a solar cover when you are paying to heat the pool...

We love our HP. Start it at 8:00AM, pool is usually about 82-84 degrees after losing maybe 5 or 6 degrees overnight this time of year. No cover, not worth the aggrevation to me. Gain about 1 - 1.5 degrees per hour, nice swim temp by noon.

First and foremost, THANK YOU, everyone, for replying to my post.

As you have discovered a heat pump in the dry Arizona winter cannot move enough heat into your pool to keep it swimmable . There's just not enough energy available in our atmosphere. It's great this time of year, my heat pump runs about an hour in the morning to keep the pool at 87F. But as winter approaches, I'll give up heating and set the temp to 58, just enough to keep the SWCG running. I guess a cover would help but I don't want the hassle of a cover. If I had nat gas available, I'd definitely switch or add. It will be MUCH more expensive depending on what you heat to in winter.

If you want on demand great heating you should switch to gas.

This is indeed the problem. Even when the air is warm, since there is very little humidity, the heat energy in the air is very little, and therefore the transfer is minimal as well. Combined with the evaporation and heat loss from the surface of the pool, it simply cannot keep up. It's basically 2 steps forward, 1 step back. I need something to be 3 forward, 1 back!

Your biggest problem is that the pool is uncovered. An uncovered swimming pool, in our dry climate with cool evenings now, can easily loose 6-8 deg F overnight. That is far more heat loss than an electric heat pump can handle. Also, as @scottts stated, the air here in AZ is simply too dry for a heat pump to operate efficiently. While our air temps can exceed 100F, there is so little moisture in the air that it makes it harder for a heat pump to operate efficiently. Heat pumps need humidity because water vapor is what holds the "energy" (latent heat) in warm air.

If you have natural gas available and the run length from your meter to the equipment pad isn't too long, then a gas heater will definitely give you more bang for your buck as the energy cost per unit of measure for gas (Therms) works out less than the energy cost per unit of measure for electricity (Watts). On an equivalent energy basis, gas is cheaper.

But, to go back to my first sentence, all of this moot if you don't cover the pool. Without a cover, you will waste A LOT of money no matter what your heat source is...

You hit the nail on the head in regards to the dry air, cold night-time temps, and no humidity/low latent heat.

Unfortunately, the gas line would be long. From the meter to the equipment area is about 100 feet.

I do agree there is a definite benefit to covering the pool. I do have a solar cover, but I don't usually put it on until late October when the night-time temps start to get pretty chilly. Even with a cover, however, the heat pump cannot keep up during the late fall and winter months, even here in AZ. The temperature swings between night and day average about 30 degrees difference, and if it gets cold enough, the HP will shut down automatically to prevent freezing.

It works. So, what's the problem? What will gas do for you that the heat pump doesn't? Just let it run and keep it heated.

What is your cost for natural gas and for electricity?

A major factor of going gas vs. staying with the heat pump is the ability to heat whenever throughout the day/night and NOT worry about time-of-use/demand electric rates, which I have. So basically between the hours of 3pm and 8pm, I limit electric usage immensely. My pool pump goes into a very slow speed, basically just to keep the skimmer flow going, and my house's AC units shut down by way of pre-cooling and set-back thermostats. With that in mind, a heat pump makes perfect sense in a standard/fixed rate for electricity, but it quickly becomes a major hassle for TOU/Demand rates. Because of that, I can heat all night and all morning, but for the 5 hours after 3pm, I can lose much of the heat in the pool. Two steps forward, one step back.

Get a bubble solar cover if you don't already have one. Keep the heatpump until it needs repair and then swap it out for gas.

This is what I have been doing for the last few years. The heat pump just doesn't want to die! :)

from what I understand about the heat pumps is they are supposed to be run/on 24/7 and it heats when needed.. You are using it like a gas heater and only turning it on 3 or so hours.. I also agree with a solar cover when you are paying to heat the pool...

Interesting point, and I didn't think of it like that. Still could get me into BIG trouble due to TOU/Demand electric rates as previously mentioned.

Last edited:
What is the gas meter rating. For example, a 250 model is 250 cubic feet per hour, which is 250,000 btu/hr.

You might be able to use a 2 psi system, which will allow a smaller diameter gas line.

It's the standard 250 meter, but it probably would need to be sized up to a 400 meter (maybe) due to the other draws on the system and appliances such as two 100k furnaces, a gas dryer, and a gas water heater, and a stub for a gas grill. Sure not all of these would be used at once, in addition to the 100k+ pool heater, but I think gas meters are always sized based on "possible" demand, even if extreme.

EDIT: IIRC when I lived back in the Midwest, some folks that installed a permanent backup generator usually needed to upgrade their gas meter.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I think the only thing I can do is talk to the company that installed the pool to see what the process entails and what the estimated cost may be. It most likely will be an extreme hassle, hence why the original homeowners opted to go with a heat pump.

7 years ago, trenching and laying our 2” gas line (150’) cost about $12/ft. I’ve seen estimates as high as $15/ft. Depends on how complex the trenching/dig wound be since this is after the fact. As @JamesW said, you could try to run a “high” pressure line along the outside of the house using galvanized pipe, but that may not cost any less, just no digging. You’ll need a qualified gas plumber to give you an idea.

A word of caution - down here in Tucson, the trades businesses are running crazy from all the COVID induced home upgrade projects fueled by historically low interest rates on refi’s and construction loans. So even getting someone to show up and bid on your job is hit or miss (mostly miss). Don’t be surprised if no one returns your calls ...

Reactions: GoGrabTheNet
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.