Thinking about automation

Jun 1, 2015
LI, New York
I am thinking about automating my pool but I am still currently running mostly old equipment. I do have a Hayward Super Pump VS variable speed pump for the pool. I have an old Lars heater which I am surprised each season that it fires up again. The VS pump and heater are controlled by an Intermatic timer which recently died so both are operated manually at the moment with the pump generally running 24/7 at low speed. The attached spa uses an old Hayward Super Pump single speed and shares the heater. Switching to heat the spa requires manually turning four Jandy valves to redirect the water.

My goals in order would be:

1) convert to saltwater
2) control the pump on/off and speed via smartphone
3) turn old heater on/off for now and see water temperature if possible. Eventually when heater is replaced to be able to control the water temp.
4) ability to turn the 4 valves in order to heat the spa. (also thought about switching to a 2-heater system instead of the actuators)

Can anyone suggest a product for this? Do I need to stick with Hayward in order to fully control the pump? And if I buy a Hayward controller do I then need to buy a Hayward heater down the road to accomplish #3?

Thanks!

It doesn't matter for a heater so much, and I would tend to go with a Raypak/Rheem for a replacement. For your pump, I think it would be much easier sticking with Hayward systems for ease of setup/communication issues but there may be other opinions on that. Hayward has diferent controller packages and any reputable dealer should be able to guide you on the best option.

j,

When setting up an automation system, it is recommended to use the same brand of equipment for the automation, the VS pump, and the SWCG. This is because these three units need to be able to "talk" the same language. There are a few exceptions, but not many. In fact, just because they are the same brand does not guarantee that they can talk together.

Your manual says...

The Super Pump VS pump can communicate with and be controlled by Hayward pool controls such as OmniLogic™,
ProLogic®, E-Command® 4, and OnCommand®. Minimum software revision requirements: OmniLogic R1.0.0,
ProLogic 3.00, OnCommand 1.00, E-Command 2.65, E-Command 4 2.80, AquaLogic 2.65, and AquaPlus 2.65. To
determine Hayward control software revision, consult the appropriate Hayward pool control installation manual or visit
our website at Welcome to Hayward Residential and Commercial Pool Products.

Once you get your new system, you should be able to connect your old heater and control it remotely.

Thanks for posting,

Jim R.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.