Think I have a skimmer leak

Oct 11, 2015
Dallas tx
Noticed a large drop of water 4” over the last few days only in my pool section, spa has stayed normal evaporation drop. Decided to let the level drop until it stopped and it appears to level out just below the skimmer levels.

Doing some research it appears it could be leaking from the skimmer to pool connection or through the suction piping back to the pump. I tried the dye test but it really didn’t show anything. When I run the pump with the water level full the pump has no issue holding prime and has actually held prime ever since I have started to let the pool water drop below the skimmer.

There is still a level of water in the skimmers and it’s holding at a constant level. Would all of this indicate more of a leak from where the pool meets the skimmer rather than the suction piping from the skimmer?

Thanks for the help

Do you see any cracks or gaps in the skimmer area? If you are still able to hold prime then you must also be drawing water from a main drain. Since your leak seems to stabilize around skimmer level I would check the opening in the pool shell and the throat of the skimmer leading to the skimmer basket area. You can also refill the pool and plug the skimmer pipe to see if it holds water. If you plug the skimmer and the pool still drains to below skimmer level then your problem is most likely where the pool meets the skimmer.

No I had a leak detection company come out a few years ago and they put epoxy on the skimmer faces as they said they were leaking, that was the only leak they found. I plan to inspect them in depth today with thanksgiving over. I have some plugs on order as I run my pool year round and don’t have any handy. I planned on filling the pool up today and running the pump for a few hours and try and monitor if the water loss changes.

And yes the pool has a dedicated main drain line as well.

I think any epoxy that cures underwater and stays a little flexible will work. Some have reported good results with JB Waterweld. You may get another 6 mo to a year before it starts to leak again. Eventually you will need a more permanent fix.

I found good reviews for a product called atlas pool epoxy putty. I am going to give it a try. The leak company that put this last round of putty did so about 4 years ago. If I can get that long of life out of this brand I will be happy. I will let everyone know how it goes.

Happy to report the epoxy putty seems to have solved my leak for now. The atlas epoxy was very easy to use and apply. Pool seems to be holding water better than it ever has. While applying the epoxy I never saw a large hole or even a sign where a leak would be getting by. The best thing for someone who has this issue in the future is to let the level drop to where it finally starts and than go from there. Finding a leak is process of elimination.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.