aknpool

Dec 16, 2020
Austin, Texas
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
I've been noticing a thin film of dust forming on the pool surface.

Does the pool dust layer look like a filter problem? We just moved into the new home 2 months ago so no idea if its time for the filter cartridge to be changed. The psi is showing around 5.

Also noticed air bubbles coming out of the pool every few days. Wondering if the filter is not working because of some kind of air leak?

Dust on the water surface or air bubbles are not filter problems.

What speed are you running your VS pump and for how long? Dust on the surface is likely a skimming problem.

Does your skimmers have weir doors and are they operating correctly?

How many skimmers do you have?

Are the air bubbles coming out of return continuously?

There is one skimmer and it has a weir gate. It was open when pump was working, I stopped the pump and noticed that the gate stayed open and didnt close. I closed it manually and then it stayed close till I turned on the pump and it swung back open. So is this a bad weir gate or does it take a while for it to close after pump off?

The pump runs from 8 to 8, it was running at around 1950rpm when I checked. There is a slow trickle from the spa into the pool, it feels like the flow is slow, the water in the main pool looks very still but I am not sure. I was suspecting the spa check valve - the water was trickling into it but maybe this is ok for spa spillover mode.

Today I noticed the air bubbles only when I turned on the pump for a few minutes. Last week it was doing it the whole day - will have to watch for this.

Weird door should close immediately. Mine floats on the surface of the water. When the pump turns on and sucks water out of the skimmer, the surface level falls and the door goes down. Pump turns off, water level rises and so does the door. Sounds like yours is sticking. Take it out, see if there are any burrs or anything obvious.

If you have an air leak, it's so small it's not going to prevent your filter from doing its job. Can you see inside the pump basket? I would expect air in that basket if you have a suction side leak. The other common cause of bubbles is from a SWCG.

It looks like it is a Baker Hydro Pak skimmer Weir. I found this https://edc.poolsupplyworld.com/wpdf/bakerskimmer_ds.pdf. I can't figure out how to remove this - don't see any screws, it looks like I may have to pry it out with a screwdriver but afraid I may break something. From the outside everything looks normal, it just doesn't have lift when pump is turned off to close the gate.
I will maybe just try putting in a replacement and see. Any ideas on how to remove this without breaking anything? Thanks.

Pull the weir door the wrong way, into the pool, so you can see what is normally inside/under side. Alternatively, take the top off the skimmer and look inside to see. There usually is some sort of spring-loaded retention mechanism. You will squeeze those parts together.

Not sure if this is your exact door, but you can see the back side in this listing. Baker Hydro Weir w/ Pins - 624070A - INYOPools.com

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.