Results two years and two court dates later

klanel

Silver Supporter
Jul 11, 2021
Athens, GA
New pool under construction,. So far they have dug, plumbed and steeled, shot the concrete and just finished tile around the water line. One of the skimmers is 1/2" off level from side to side. Also on that one, it seems much more decline from the interior of the pool into the skimmer relative to the other skimmer. They still have the flagstone coping to cap the pool edges and over the top of the skimmer. I know it's not right and it bothers me especially for what it cost but will it cause any problems doing it's job? Also, I am concerned that at the deck level they won't be able to finish the concrete off level due to one side of the cover tube being slightly lower than the other. I have not told the 'builder' as of yet. Any thoughts/suggestions/recommendations? Thanks

Sorry to be meeting this way. Take and share a pic of the off skimmer. They can and should take out the shell around the skimmer and redo it so it is level all the way around. They may try to tell you it is fine to leave it like it is. Just say no it is not as many times as you need to to get them to fix it. Good luck!

Reactions: Staceyleah22
1/2" over the width the skimmer (approx 12" wide). That is a lot.
I'd make them fix it. So what if it still works just fine, it looks terrible aesthetically. I would think the PB would want it fixed as well if it was shoddy work by the tile contractor.
I'm at about the same stage on my pool except coping is in. My skimmer inlet has good slope from the pool wall down to the skimmer itself. The older pools I've been in were pretty flat. I guess this is ok?

Here are a few photos. The left skimmer has a drop in elevation of about 3/4" from the inside of the pool wall to the bottom of the skimmer opening. The right skimmer which is my biggest concern is over double that a 1-3/4". Something is way off to have a difference like that. I have emailed the builder and requested work be halted until this is checked. Cosmetically it bothers me and I don't know if it would cause any issues in performance and I would prefer to resolve now.left skimmer.jpgright skimmer.jpgright skimmer 3.jpgright skimmer 2.jpg

I don't like that. I would make them re-do it. This is making me want to go check mine now.

So everything is matching up with the skimmer entry it seems.....so is the skimmer laid in there crooked?

Reactions: BigPapaSmurf
The bottom of the skimmer tilted inward to the pool is not going to effect the function of the skimmer. The skimmer works from the top of the water and the weir door.

You said one of the skimmers is 1/2" off side to side but this image does not look that bad.

I don't think you have a major problem and once water is in the pool you will never notice it. Your skimmers will function fine.

right-skimmer-2-jpg.354006

Reactions: reggiehammond
I checked it with a rotary laser and that skimmer is 1 inch lower than the other, measured at the top center. My biggest issue is it being an inch lower than the other. They compensated by an increased slope down to the skimmer. That particular skimmer was over a plumbing trench of fill dirt and I kept seeing them trying to adjust it before the pool was shot. In this case the skimmer and pipe is easily accessible. For what it cost, I want it to be level. In hindsight they knew it was off in the beginning and have done what they could to blend it in. But when the deck is poured it will be an inch lower at the top of the skimmer housing.

Reactions: borjis
The bottom of the skimmer tilted inward to the pool is not going to effect the function of the skimmer. The skimmer works from the top of the water and the weir door.

You said one of the skimmers is 1/2" off side to side but this image does not look that bad.

I don't think you have a major problem and once water is in the pool you will never notice it. Your skimmers will function fine.

The spillway is not tilted toward the pool, it's tilted away towards the skimmer. One skimmer has a 3/4" drop toward the skimmer. The skimmer I am concerned about has 1-3/4" drop towards the skimmer. But the skimmer height on the one in question is 1" lower to start with. Whoever posted I wouldn't notice it, are you basing that on experience? I know the coping will cover most of it but it seems to me that it would cause additional problems with the deck trying to compensate for the lower height at this skimmer. And as to the tilt of the skimmer itself, side to side, it's closer to 5/16" and not 1/2".

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I also don't think it's anything to worry about. The water level is going to be the same regardless. As far as your decking goes, on my skimmers there was a adjustable collar so the deck height is independent of the skimmer. Where in Ga do you live?

Here are some pictures of the construction process of our pool.

Freeform 16 x 32 with sunshelf, 3.5' shallow, 5' deep, with 7' spa

Timeframe for each task
Digging and forming, about 3 hours
Plumbing and steel, 3 days
Shotcrete, 5 hours
Tile at water line, 1 day

1.jpg2.jpg3.jpg5.jpg6.jpg7.jpg8.jpg9.jpg10.jpg1.jpg2.jpg3.jpg11.jpg5.jpg6.jpg7.jpg8.jpg9.jpg10.jpg11.jpg

Just wondering how smooth things worked out for other people having pools installed. Here are a few details of my 'adventure' so far.

Nearly a year ago, met with the builder to get an idea of prices and things to consider if I put in a pool. He spent lots of time with me and seemingly answered all my questions and took us to two pools that he had built to look them over. Both seemed to be well constructed. I got a quote at that time and told him I would follow up.

The first of Feb, I contacted the builder and told him I would be ready on my end to proceed March 1. He said he could start it then so my expectations were that I would have it in by the first of June based on his 12 week timeline for completion. March 1 came and I called the builder. He came that day and we signed the contract. Said he would get started 'not too long'. I kept calling him and he would say he had to schedule with his 'digging man'. He did not request the Health dept inspection until March 29 and that took until May 5 for them to authorize. They didn't start digging until June 1 which was 3 months beyond when he said he would start.

When it's time for a draw his communication is excellent, otherwise he never responds to emails, sometimes no response to text, and sometimes doesn't return calls. He builds pools for a lot of very wealthy people and I can't imagine that others have had the lack of follow through that I have. At least the ones who he takes you to see their pools.

So where are things standing at now? I am 4-1/2 months into this since we met in March. Should have been completed a month and half ago by his time estimate of 12 weeks. And here are some of my concerns with the workmanship.

When they formed for the skimmers, one of them was placed 1 inch lower than the other. I incorrectly assumed that they would level it prior to shooting the concrete. Within a couple of days after the shotcrete was done, there are hairline cracks running almost the entire length and width of the pool. They are probably 1/16" or less wide. Builder says it was because of the heat and it would be fixed. I spoke with one of the workers and their fix is to pebble tec over them. The material they scraped off the sides went into the bottom. Most of the cracking seems to have occurred where they worked at last and by that time it was getting pretty hot outside.

Since then they came in a 'grounded' the rebar using mechanical clamps which is still waiting for the inspection to be called in. One of the skimmers that I mentioned above is 1 inch lower than the other. They compensated by increasing the downward tilt on that skimmer. It may work ok but looks totally unprofessional. I emailed the builder with pictures and measurements and he ignored me. I texted him and he now says he can't get emails. I told him I wanted it fixed. He said he 'would have it checked'. They can't do the coping until that is corrected.

And lastly, my pool is on a hillside and will require retaining walls on all sides due to it being lowered on the front side. Because much of the lower half is in fill, the walls will have to be constructed before any equipment can be set. I will have a pool house with a basement and the retaining walls will tie into the sides of the basement wall. I have been trying to get the builder to arrange a meeting with his 'concrete man' to see if he can handle the poured wall for the basement or it I need to have that portion done myself. They can't build the retaining walls until the poured basement wall is complete. Last date I heard we would meet was July 6 which didn't happen.

Can someone make me feel better by letting me know I'm not alone? I spoke with one guy who knows my builder but went with another company and his is not much further along than mine and he's been waiting 6 months. He says his builder will not return calls, answer the phone, etc. So maybe this is the norm for the pool business this time of year.

I have given up on my little girl being able to use it this year. Now I am just trying to get through the process and not have any issues arise afterwards from things like fill not being compacted or cracks in the floor from cracking the pebble tec.

Unfortunately this seems to be "normal" at least this year due to so many people wanting pools and then various delays due to COVID, Texas freeze, supply shortages, yada yada. Your story is similar to a lot of others on here...and for some reason skimmers have come up in multiple threads. I'm about 2 weeks away from when my pool was supposed to be done (12 weeks) and I am no where close (I didn't believe it from the start anyway). I'm at about the same spot as you except I have coping.

Here is another photo showing their creative workmanship. They stomped down the middle of the spa floor I showed it to me builder when he came by for some money. It's supposed to be for a pump basin. Builder says they usually make it look better but they will fix. They did a divot in the deep end, said for a pump. One problem is that the divot is not the low spot and second, the deep end is only 5 feet deep. Seems like a safety hazard. I looked at a picture of another spa he built and didn't see the basin area in it. I would prefer it not to be there. Don't know if it's supposed to be temporary or permanent.
SMalone, I'm a few miles north of Athens, GA spa basin.jpgspa basin.jpg

• Angry
Reactions: BigPapaSmurf
Here is another photo showing their creative workmanship. They stomped down the middle of the spa floor I showed it to me builder when he came by for some money. It's supposed to be for a pump basin. Builder says they usually make it look better but they will fix. They did a divot in the deep end, said for a pump. One problem is that the divot is not the low spot and second, the deep end is only 5 feet deep. Seems like a safety hazard. I looked at a picture of another spa he built and didn't see the basin area in it. I would prefer it not to be there. Don't know if it's supposed to be temporary or permanent.
SMalone, I'm a few miles north of Athens, GA View attachment 354702View attachment 354702
That doesn't look right at all...:unsure:

Not sure that this makes you feel any better, but I did an owner build in 2015, and I noticed that my skimmer was not perfectly level after it was too late. As one does with an owner build where there is no one to blame but yourself, I decided to roll with it and see what happens. I have never had a problem, skimmer works perfectly, although I only have one skimmer. Just wanted to put you at ease a bit in case this doesn't get perfectly leveled out. Also, you can't tell from the decking that the skimmer isn't level.

My biggest concern with the skimmer is that one is an inch lower than the other. It may not be noticeable after the coping is installed but we are at a point where it could be fixed. The side to side being 5/16" off level I could live with. I am waiting on the builder to see what he plans to do.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.