There's a big hole in my backyard!! that has water in it! (pics) YAY!!!!!

poolnoobgrandma

Gold Supporter
Sep 15, 2018
Seminole, FL
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Hayward Aqua Rite Pro (T-15)
They dug yesterday. Woohoo!
So far, so good. Had to fine-tune some details on the spa, but for the most part, everything is going smoothly.

Thanks for the advice in the just getting started forum.
Pics show the dream, and the current reality.

Here's a time-lapse....

Cheers all!

Attachments

• 156_ZMD14GSE2288175_20190108003120_cover_0.jpg
    156_ZMD14GSE2288175_20190108003120_cover_0.jpg
    75 KB · Views: 356
  • finishedpool.JPG
    finishedpool.JPG
    95.6 KB · Views: 174
Last edited:
Exciting times ahead! Please keep us up to date with pics as the build continues.

Will leaves be a problem? I can't really tell how close those trees are, and your design looks kind of barren of trees. Will some be coming down?

Maddie :flower:

Exciting times ahead! Please keep us up to date with pics as the build continues.

Will leaves be a problem? I can't really tell how close those trees are, and your design looks kind of barren of trees. Will some be coming down?

Maddie :flower:

Oh, we are going to have a birdcage. The giant tree is staying, and there are trees on surrounding lots.
Right now the plan is for a mansard roof, but I want to check options for a roof that does not have any flat areas.

:)
Melissa

Welcome poolnoobgrandma, congrats on your new pool build:) Here are some more suggestions if I may as I previously posted in another thread,
1. Speaking from experience. Put in a double door on one of the sides. I only had one door and ended up putting in a double door and another single door on the opposite side. I should have listened to my wife
2. Plan on plumbing electrical and water for a future summer kitchen.
3. Plan on adding solar and heat pump in your equipment pad.
4. Make sure that you have a very large equipment pad, our equipment pad is 19 ft long x 9 ft wide.
5. Put lights at pool pad.
6. Put in water spigots in all 4 corners of the screen cage both inside and outside the screen cage.
7. Put in electrical outlets in all 4 corners of the screen cage both inside and outside the screen cage.
8. Go with a large outdoor space as possible. We have 1800sq ft of pavers and we wish we did a larger space. You will be quite surprised how much room tables chairs and lounges take up.
9. Run conduits for speaker wires if you plan on wired speakers.
10. Put in footers for future screen cage. Some people do not like the pool cage however we believe in it as we swim a lot at nighttime. (Ignore this as I see that you will be putting a pool screen)
11. Plan on positioning your pool so that you can watch TV comfortably when you are in it. I know that this may sound strange but we love watching TV, football games, NASCAR races and movies when we are relaxing in the pool.
12. Place pool light facing away from the house, we had ours facing towards the house and we notice some glare from it.
Look at the 3 links in my signature bar for ideas. Post lots of pics :cheers:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
So,
Now that coping is done, footers are poured, we should be looking at completion within a few weeks (note: there's additional construction that has complicated the timeline.) Once they fill the pool, when can we SWIM?
Also, when can we HEAT, when can we use the SWG.....
I'll ask the PB, but wanted to check the experience here as well.

Cheers!

Reactions: tessv
Here is a set of links I put together for picking out plaster and how to start it up. The second link has most of the answers to your questions but I wanted to share them all with you so you had any and all info for your new plaster!

Trouble Free Pool
Trouble Free Pool
Ten Guidelines for Quality Pool Plaster Best one of all
Not All Color Pigments are Good for Pools How to pick a good color for plaster.

Kim:kim:
Thanks! We are doing pebblesheen blue granite, and I like the advice of being on-site when they do the plaster. We have several "construction jenga" steps before we get there, but they poured the footers and equipment pad yesterday, and I believe the roof on our new garage will get done next week, so things should (hopefully) go quickly after that. Hoping to be swimming by May 1, and have a big party to break the pool in on Memorial Day! :)

So, after much construction Jenga (we are also building a large detached garage, which has held pool progress back) the pool people are back!
To do: finish tiling and coping, install paver deck, install screen enclosure, do pebble tec.
Per the pool guy this may all get done fairly quickly. Fingers crossed!
Web cam shows them in the back yard. Woo hoo!

Cheers,
Pool Noob Grandma
(note - grandbaby is rocking his swim lessons. :) )

He's a year old. Already swimming to the side and climbing out on his own.
We'll (of course) have safety features (fence for sure, and maybe a pool alarm as well. Door alarms seem like a pain...)
I think he'll get lots of practice this summer, and be a bona fide water baby by fall.

Cheers,
PoolNoobGrandma

The water alarms will drive you nuts if you have any kind of breeze let alone a wind.

There are bracelets you can put on put on kids and pets what will alarm if it gets wet. I will have to look for those.

Does he live with you?

Safety Turtle?? Mrs. B bought a set for our little grandkids and they work pretty well. (almost too well) Only real issue is that they are SO sensitive if you lick it, the alarm goes off. And let me tell you, it is loud, loud, loud.

Last edited:
Reactions: kimkats
Pookie doesn't live with us, but is over a lot. I was thinking that one of the pool alarms that detects motion under water rather than on top might work. How does the safety turtle work during hand washing?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.