The worst article on pool chemistry I’ve ever read.

marcgr

Bronze Supporter
Oct 4, 2015
Austin, TX
Here it is, courtesy of “Real Simple”. I don’t even know where to begin.

Whoa. Yeah, not sure where to begin. My favorite was:

If you’ve ever heard of Epsom salt baths or bath bombs, you’ve probably also heard of how beneficial salt water is for your muscles. According to Tom Casey, vice president of Anthony & Sylvan Pools, salt’s pain-reducing benefits can be attributed to bromine, which “can help people suffering from arthritis or injuries by treating muscle and joint aches, pains, and soreness.”

Epsom salt is Magnesium sulfate, and what does this even mean "salt’s pain-reducing benefits can be attributed to bromine"??!!

Whoa. Yeah, not sure where to begin. My favorite was:

If you’ve ever heard of Epsom salt baths or bath bombs, you’ve probably also heard of how beneficial salt water is for your muscles. According to Tom Casey, vice president of Anthony & Sylvan Pools, salt’s pain-reducing benefits can be attributed to bromine, which “can help people suffering from arthritis or injuries by treating muscle and joint aches, pains, and soreness.”

Epsom salt is Magnesium sulfate, and what does this even mean "salt’s pain-reducing benefits can be attributed to bromine"??!!

Wow 😳 off to soak in my bromine pool I guess...

She did a little bit better on her 10 pool cleaning tips. Of the 10 I count:

4 - Good advice
5 - Bad or questionable advice
1 - Just plain weird

She did a little bit better on her 10 pool cleaning tips. Of the 10 I count:

4 - Good advice
5 - Bad or questionable advice
1 - Just plain weird

Is the weird one: "Run your pool pump twice a day."?

Is the weird one: "Run your pool pump twice a day."?
No, I debated between weird and questionable on that one. The weird one is to rip your window screens down to use as a makeshift "skimmer". And then take all of the money you saved by not buying a $30 net and pole, and buy a crappy $30 peacock float?

No, I debated between weird and questionable on that one. The weird one is to rip your window screens down to use as a makeshift "skimmer". And then take all of the money you saved by not buying a $30 net and pole, and buy a crappy $30 peacock float?
Yeah, that one is weird. I think the run your pump twice a day is weird for a different reason. It's weird that she thinks that is enough information to be useful. Twice a day for 5 min each is a lot different than once a day for 8 hours. Does she think a cycle is a set length of time? Is she just blindly copy and pasting random content she's found without actually understanding what she is writing?

Her only "research" appears to be that articles that include lists about pools in the summer during a pandemic can generate a lot of web traffic. Content accuracy is secondary or doesn't matter at all. Sadly, she is probably correct.

I particularly like the advice to scrub your tiles twice a week with baking soda and a toothbrush. That really is the way "to squeeze in some pool time this summer." In my pool time, I'd rather swim in my pool than clean it with a toothbrush. But if you like your pool real clean, that might be the way to go...

• Haha
Reactions: Mdragger88

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.