The Return of the Pool That Just Won't Die

Status
Not open for further replies.
Let's take a step back and look again all around. First things first, can you please post your FC and CC levels? There is a chance Floc will work. There's a greater chance it won't. At this point I would only suggest it as a last case option. Before worrying about Floc I would HIGHLY suggest deep cleaning your filter. It's not difficult if you take your time and pay attention. Here is a link to help you out,
Deep Cleaning a Sand Filter

You simply have zero knowledge about the current condition of your filter as you are a "new owner." Who knows what's lingering inside or even if you have enough sand in there. Pop the top tomorrow and clean your filter as it's very likely you'll see a noticeable change. If not, a deep clean is free where Floc is not.

I can't take this all apart. It'll never go back together. Pool ownership isn't for me. Not everyone can do it.

- - - Updated - - -

I've read through that a dozen times. There isn't a single instruction on how to actually take anything apart. Id be guessing. Look where guessing has gotten me thus far.

If you're unsure of yourself you can pay a local pool store to clean your sand, but I've never seen a user have any issues with it. You are right there on the verge of seeing this pool turn clear. You are passing the OCLT, have low chlorine demand, and low CC's as of last reported test results. All signs point to chemistry turning greatly in your favor. By cleaning your filter and making sure it's in working order you very likely will tip the tide even further in your direction.

I've read through that a dozen times. There isn't a single instruction on how to actually take anything apart. Id be guessing. Look where guessing has gotten me thus far.

Can you post a photo (tomorrow if you need to as it's likely dark out) of your filter. I'm sure somebody here can help you out.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Sand doesn't need to be changed. It has lasted millions of years and a few years in a filter is nothing. You've been told a few times that a deep clean could help. It is up to you on whether you accept the advice given.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

I don't think a deep clean is doable here. In this photo it looks like the pipe is glued in two places. I could probably unscrew the coupler farther down, but it goes past the shutoff valve, so wouldn't the water just flow out of my pool?

The other pipe seems easy enough. Just loosen the metal collar and pull right?

Clarity...might seem better? Maybe? Maybe not? Hard to tell.

That is messed up with the union THERE! Think it through please...........you can see the whole picture better than we can.

Take and share a picture of the whole set up from all sides so we can see the pool walls as well. We can talk it through if you cannot figure it out.

You will HAVE to take that top off the filter at some time so lets figure it out now.

Is there another shut-off valve on the same line by the pool??? For the life of me looking at these pictures I can't figure out why they put that there!!!!

To deep clean the filter:

Unplug or turn off the pump

Close both valves to keep the water in the pool
There's a clamp below the multiport valve that goes around the neck of the filter body
It's the clamp with a bolt and nut on both sides of the filter, right above the wider part of the filter (filter body)
Undo both sides until the clamp is loose enough that the multiport valve assembly can lift straight up and off the filter body with the pipes still attached
Undo the clamp completely if necessary
You'll be undoing that clamp below the multiport valve and then lifting the entire multiport valve straight up
If you can't lift it straight up, you may need to loosen the clamp on the pipe that comes from the pump and remove it
The pipe going to the pool should be able to stay connected, if not both pipes.

Once you have it off, put something over the stand pipe (it's in the middle) so no dirt will enter it. You can stuff a rag into it or something like that.

Re-read the description of deep-cleaning

Use a garden hose to flood the filter and start floating out the gunk
Gently lower the garden hose into the sand with water running out of it
As you get deep in the sand, be especially gentle
From reading that article, you'll see that there are laterals like the spokes of a wheel, down in the sand
You'll probably feel them with the end of the hose as you dip it in and around the sand
Be gentle as you feel that you're getting to the bottom
Do everything slowly, deliberately, so that the standpipe in the middle stays put

Bring the hose back up and insert it down into the sand in a different spot, always being gentle, especially near the bottom
Keep doing that, lowering the hose down into a new spot, always being gentle, until the water runs clean

Then remove the rag or whatever you covered the standpipe with
There is probably an o-ring inside the multiport valve bottom opening. That o-ring seals against the standpipe
If you have some silicone o-ring lube, put some on that o-ring, KY jelly is close enough
If the o-ring still has silicone lube on it, it's preobably good enough, but use your finger to make it even
Don't use grease or Vaseline

Gently carefully lower the multiport valve over the standpipe and onto the neck of the filter body
Replace the clamp that holds it on
Partly tighten it, egually on both sides
Gently knock it into place (rubber mallet is best, or a piece of wood)
Tighten it some more, equally on both sides
Knock it gently into place again
Finish tightening it, equally on both sides

Re-attach any pipe you had to detach, and filter is ready to go

From the looks of the very first picture in post #245, the multiport should lift straight up with the pipes still connected. It might be necessary to remove the pipe that goes from pump to filter, but it looks like there's enough flex in the other two pipes to leave them connected.

Bewitching hour in Sydney, hope it all goes easily for you.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Status
Not open for further replies.
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.