The million-dollar question? Pump runtime.

jrbevis

Sep 7, 2021
Las Vegas, Nv.
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-20
Hello everyone,
I've searched the web and this site far and wide for the answer to this question and like many others, I can't find the answer. I have an 8000-gallon pool/spa, I live in Vegas, and next week I will have an SWG installed.

My contractor set me VS pump to run 8hrs a day at 2500RPM. From what I've read, that may be OVERKILL? I'm not having any issues keeping my chemistry in balance but I'm trying to conserve energy. I understand there are A LOT of variables when it comes to pump runtime and the SWG installation will become another variable.

Based on your experience what schedule would any of you recommend I try for the best energy efficiency that will also result in the best water chemistry? Where would you all feel comfortable setting your pump schedule for a pool in the desert?

Thank you for any input
Jeff

Jeff,

You only need to run your pump fast enough to close the SWCG's flow switch plus 100 or 200 RPM to just make sure.

Time wise, you need to run it long enough to make the amount of chlorine that your pool uses each day. That would depend on the size of your pool and the size of the SWCG that you have.

Just for reference, I run my IntelliFlo pump at about 1200 RPM most of the time. This is plenty to close the flow switch on my SWCG and allow my skimmers to work.

Keep in mind that I have a large cartridge filter and no heater.

Thanks,

Jim R.

I just posted this in another thread. The PoolMath App has an awesome feature that helps you determine what run time and/or SWG Output you need to adjust to get the output you need. I highly recommend it for anyone who uses a SWG and wants to fine tune the chlorine output.

A VSP excels at low RPMs.

I operate my pump at 1,000 rpm 24/7, which uses around 75 watts. That equates to ~$6/month in electricity. I like the non-stop skimming, chlorinating, filtering, and circulation. Run your pump for a purpose.

A VSP excels at low RPMs.

I operate my pump at 1,000 rpm 24/7, which uses around 75 watts. That equates to ~$6/month in electricity. I like the non-stop skimming, chlorinating, filtering, and circulation. Run your pump for a purpose.
That's great feedback. I was under the impression the SWG needed about 1500RPM to make the flow switch engage, but I guess not. My SWG will hopefully be installed this week. I presume the display on the SWG will tell you if you don't have sufficient flow?

Hello fellow Las Vegas member. I run my vsf pump 24/7 at 1400 rpm. That speed allows the IC60 flow switch to be happy. A couple of times a day, on a schedule, the speed ramps up to 1800 to skim. Another schedule chlorinates the spa. The beauty of automation. Oh, I don’t really notice much difference with these schedules on my nvenergy electric bill.

I was under the impression the SWG needed about 1500RPM to make the flow switch engage
Every pool is different. I have an efficient plumbing system, so I can operate nicely at low RPMs.

I presume the display on the SWG will tell you if you don't have sufficient flow?
Yes, there is a flow light on the IntelliChlor cell. If you're using automation, you'll also get a low flow error message if there's insufficient flow.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.