The Mess Is Now Plastered!

I don't have any specific messages to share. Refer to the post I wrote about stating your expectations clearly. That's the guide, you supply the details, based on what those expectations are, and from whom you're expecting them.
I am reminded of the guidance for classroom expectations. 4 C's: Clear, Concise, Consistently enforced, with Consequences. Apparently pool builders need similarly framed expectations. 😁

I found this tread just in time to give you your set of links! The first set is all about what to do and ask about to get a great plaster job. The second set is all about how to care for your pool after you get the plaster.

Plaster links:
Ten Guidelines for Quality Pool Plaster Best one of all
All Plaster Finishes Should Last 20 Years
Not All Color Pigments are Good for Pools How to pick a good color for plaster.
A Plastering 'Watch List' | Professional Watershaping | Watershapes
Trouble Free Pool
Trouble Free Pool

Pool care links:
Print these out:
Pool School - Basic Pool Care Schedule
Pool School - Recommended Levels

Bookmark these:
Pool School - Recommended Pool Chemicals
Trouble Free Pool
Pool School - ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

Now is also a good time to ask what test kit your PB will be providing so we can fill in any holes.

Kim:kim:

One crew left all their trash. The others cleaned up. I made a point to tell the pool company about this. Complain, complain, complain became my tune. Recently while planting grass, I found a fork, lunch container and coffee container. Absolutely right about the yard being trashed. And I kept my dig dirt to help with some sloping issues. Had to rent a Bobcat to make it look decent. Planted grass about two times and may need a third (apparently I suck at this). Had to buildup grade under the fence to meet code. That took a while and apparently was my job. Oh well. Here’s to a glorious 2021!
Oh no! I am sorry. I feel your pain. I am anticipating additional grading in my future. I am two weeks away from completion. If additional soil isn’t brought to my backyard I will need to hire someone to finish the grading (sigh) - I have sloping. Best of luck to you.

I don't have any specific messages to share. Refer to the post I wrote about stating your expectations clearly. That's the guide, you supply the details, based on what those expectations are, and from whom you're expecting them.
Awesome guidelines and it has worked for the most part for me! Thanks.

Reactions: Dirk
I found this tread just in time to give you your set of links! The first set is all about what to do and ask about to get a great plaster job. The second set is all about how to care for your pool after you get the plaster.

Plaster links:
Trouble Free Pool
Trouble Free Pool

Pool care links:
Print these out:

Bookmark these:
Trouble Free Pool

Now is also a good time to ask what test kit your PB will be providing so we can fill in any holes.

Thank you! Pebble application will take place tentatively on 10.26.

Plaster links:
Trouble Free Pool
Trouble Free Pool

Pool care links:
Print these out:

Bookmark these:
Trouble Free Pool

I ordered the T100 and salt kit recommended here. They arrived last week. PB provides the strips, I think.

I ordered the T100 and salt kit recommended here. They arrived last week. PB provides the strips, I think.
Nice job on the TF100, and getting it early. You can practice on your fill water ahead of time, as it is good to know what the chem make up of that is. And you can download and install the Pool Math app on your phone, and have that ready to go as well. You can use the app to keep track of more than one pool. So you set up one for your pool. And then another one and name it "Fill Water" or something like that. Then record the results of your first suite of tests of the fill water in there. You can keep track if your fill water changes over time by testing it a few times a year, and comparing it to previous test results (which the app will store). Don't do the CYA test on your fill water, there won't be any CYA.

The strips are great. You can use them for xmas tree ornaments, write little notes on them, they make great cat toys if you tie them to a string, and great for plaster-of-paris art projects. They're awesome. Just don't use them in your pool! ;)

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: kimkats
I just caught all the waste posts .. . Thank you for the morning laugh!
We have a dog that loves to cruise construction sites on our walks. Imagine what he'll do when he finds left over lunch sitting around on his territory. . . Or the whining when he's blocked from that part of the yard. Nope, not looking forward to it.

I explained on another thread. I will write more later. I called the owner!! She is ordering me brand new top grade travertine coping. I also told the owner to assign me a new sales person. Done. Finished.

I hope your new contact will work for you and things will run smoother. But it looks like you're half way done so not much longer.
Honest. You'd think with the money pools cost and the work involved, they'd want a better reputation with their clients.

Nice job on the TF100, and getting it early. You can practice on your fill water ahead of time, as it is good to know what the chem make up of that is. And you can download and install the Pool Math app on your phone, and have that ready to go as well. You can use the app to keep track of more than one pool. So you set up one for your pool. And then another one and name it "Fill Water" or something like that. Then record the results of your first suite of tests of the fill water in there. You can keep track if your fill water changes over time by testing it a few times a year, and comparing it to previous test results (which the app will store). Don't do the CYA test on your fill water, there won't be any CYA.

The strips are great. You can use them for xmas tree ornaments, write little notes on them, they make great cat toys if you tie them to a string, and great for plaster-of-paris art projects. They're awesome. Just don't use them in your pool! ;)
Thanks! The water will be brought in by way of a special truck. I heard the truck has magical water lol. Sounds like the app has great metrics. I am not going to lie. The equipment is intimidating lol. Thanks for the chuckle re: the strips.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I hope your new contact will work for you and things will run smoother. But it looks like you're half way done so not much longer.
Honest. You'd think with the money pools cost and the work involved, they'd want a better reputation with their clients.
I know. Sigh. It’s all good! Everything will be a-ok!

I just caught all the waste posts .. . Thank you for the morning laugh!
We have a dog that loves to cruise construction sites on our walks. Imagine what he'll do when he finds left over lunch sitting around on his territory. . . Or the whining when he's blocked from that part of the yard. Nope, not looking forward to it.
Keeping my Doodle away from the yard has been most difficult. I think he finally understands he isn’t getting access to what he like thinks is a playground in the yard.

The water will be brought in by way of a special truck. I heard the truck has magical water lol.
Hmmm, right about now I normally share a trick to help new builds figure out the exact water volume of the pool. But it doesn't work with a water truck. See if you can work with the water company to figure out exactly how much water they deliver. Knowing your water volume is needed for calculating amounts of chemicals to add. PB estimates for water volume can be off by thousands of dollars.

If they're going to dump one or two trucks, and then have you finish with a hose, let me know and I'll share the tip with you.

Hmmm, right about now I normally share a trick to help new builds figure out the exact water volume of the pool. But it doesn't work with a water truck. See if you can work with the water company to figure out exactly how much water they deliver. Knowing your water volume is needed for calculating amounts of chemicals to add. PB estimates for water volume can be off by thousands of dollars.

If they're going to dump one or two trucks, and then have you finish with a hose, let me know and I'll share the tip with you.
I think they are planning one truck or maybe two and finish with my hose. I will ask in the morning. Thanks

So if you can be assured that they actually deliver what they say they deliver (5000 gals per truck, or whatever), then you can use the meter trick.

Right before you take over the filling, find your house's water meter and take a pic of the reading. Start your fill hose(s). When the water level gets halfway up the skimmer opening, stop the fill and go out and read the meter again. The difference between the two numbers plus the trucked-in amount will be your water volume. If they're close, and you're close, you should get a pretty decent number, probably way better than the PB's estimate.

You can get a bit closer if you minimize water use in the house while the hose is on: turn off landscape irrigation, minimize showers and flushes, postpone laundry, etc.

If they want some water in the pool before they dump the truck's water, or if you use the hose between trucks, however, then you just keep track of the meter readings and hose use. You're not supposed to let the water level sit in one spot for any length of time during the fill. It can create a permanent ring-stain at the point you paused the fill. So you might want to have the hose running between trucks. However it happens, just track the meter while the fill hose is running and then add it all together when the pool finishes filling.

This might be the only opportunity to do this, because you may never have the pool completely empty again.

So if you can be assured that they actually deliver what they say they deliver (5000 gals per truck, or whatever), then you can use the meter trick.

Right before you take over the filling, find your house's water meter and take a pic of the reading. Start your fill hose(s). When the water level gets halfway up the skimmer opening, stop the fill and go out and read the meter again. The difference between the two numbers plus the trucked-in amount will be your water volume. If they're close, and you're close, you should get a pretty decent number, probably way better than the PB's estimate.

You can get a bit closer if you minimize water use in the house while the hose is on: turn off landscape irrigation, minimize showers and flushes, postpone laundry, etc.

If they want some water in the pool before they dump the truck's water, or if you use the hose between trucks, however, then you just keep track of the meter readings and hose use. You're not supposed to let the water level sit in one spot for any length of time during the fill. It can create a permanent ring-stain at the point you paused the fill. So you might want to have the hose running between trucks. However it happens, just track the meter while the fill hose is running and then add it all together when the pool finishes filling.

This might be the only opportunity to do this, because you may never have the pool completely empty again.
Thank you so much great information! I will save this for next week - 10.27 is water day.

Why dont you request builder create a box 8x4 from plywood, for trash. Mine did that. Just thoughts. Some zinspoke with about construction, said lots of trash around til final cleanup crew cleans up.
Thanks! My PB was responsive and cleaned the mess quickly. Now I leave a trash bin so the crews can throw away their bottles etc.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.