The joy of giant pipettes

Jameshowison

Jul 29, 2021
Austin, TX
If, like me, you enjoy using a speed stir, you might also enjoy using a giant pipette to get your 10ml samples. Beats bending over to stare at your test tube, then trying to remember whether meniscus goes up, down, or even happens on plastic. Plastic from which the scale is coming off anyway. No trying to decide if the unexpected results are inconsistency in your sample collection.

I've been using this one for the last year. It was ~$45 through Amazon (and that's still the price). Very simple to use (stick in pool, plunge, pull out, stick in tube, plunge again. Done).

You can also adjust this to get 5ml samples (if you are doing a high FC SLAM), I've also used it for 25ml (2x10ml, 1x5ml).

No affiliation, just sharing to have something to contribute for all I've learned here at TFP.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2023-05-18 at 10.15.41 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2023-05-18 at 10.15.41 AM.png
    41.6 KB · Views: 15
but how does this work?
Keri,

The sample-sizer is just a chunk of aluminum. You add sample water to the cylinder and then stick the sample-sizer in the cylinder and it displaces the sample water. If you put in the fat end you will be left of 10 ml sample, and if you put in the thin end, it will leave you with a 25 ml sample.

Simple, but works great for me.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Reactions: KeriCarter
Keri,

The sample-sizer is just a chunk of aluminum. You add sample water to the cylinder and then stick the sample-sizer in the cylinder and it displaces the sample water. If you put in the fat end you will be left of 10 ml sample, and if you put in the thin end, it will leave you with a 25 ml sample.

Simple, but works great for me.

Thanks,

Jim R.
Simple is the way to go. I think I’ll order one. Thanks!

Reactions: Jimrahbe
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.