The economics of a pool decision.

There are probably just too many intangibles to put any definitive spin on it. The same goes for any remodel. There are accepted general rules of thumb, but it all falls back to the market cost of any specific neighborhood. If you live in a $150k neighborhood, your ammenities matter much less to your ROI. You can take an offer down 10% from your asking price and pocket the money you didnt spend. $200-k-$400k houses probably fall into some sort of grey area as to what the buyers are demanding and how much you are willing to spend to appease them, and over $400k you better have more ammenities to justify the asking price.

Yep agreed. A pool seems to be best built if the home is 600k +, As you go down in price, but the pool doesn't, it just gets upside down. At some point it's just a terrible investment and you had better just love having a pool...more than a lot of other things.

I would start with a s200 series robot. If you like that and you decide you want to make maintenance easier then buy the Solar Breeze. It has about 2 times as much capture area as a skimmer basket. But depending on how many leaves you have you will still need to empty is.

Again start with a standard robot. It will make your pool life much better.
Thanks for the info, does it help to upsize these things given my leaf, and this year's acorn season?

To the OP please post some pics of the pool and deck. I see alot of trees in the single pic you posted. No matter the pool type leaves are a nightmare especially from trees that close. A robot isn't meant to pick up that amount of droppings. Evan an expensive autcover would need a leaf blower first before uncovering. If the pool is structurally ok it can be rehabbed far cheaper than a new build.

Attachments

• A7EA7589-B801-4567-A3F2-14875583A8CD.jpeg
    A7EA7589-B801-4567-A3F2-14875583A8CD.jpeg
    75.1 KB · Views: 32
  • 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    190.3 KB · Views: 34
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    71.2 KB · Views: 34
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    180.2 KB · Views: 32
  • 0.jpg
    0.jpg
    262.8 KB · Views: 30
Last edited:
IMO ....Change the landscape. Open up the space around the pool, You have 2.5 acres to enjoy shaded areas. If this is a house you are going to be in for a while take you time and do things as time and money allow. Pools are a NO ROI adventure. In fact they also limit your "pool" of potential buyers if and when you choose to sell. You have a beautiful space.....best of luck!!!!!!

Thanks for the info, does it help to upsize these things given my leaf, and this year's acorn season?

There really is no upsizing in the robots. The s200 basket is as big as it gets. Other robots have other features for example my M500 has a 3rd brush that does extra scrubbing. I happen to like it for that. M600 has wifi connectivity, and fancier electronics. For what I see around here the S200 is the best bang for the buck and the most popular robot here. Start with that. If I had to choose between my Solar Breeze and my M500 the M500 wins every time. I happen to not have to choose so I have both.

Start with a robot and then decide if you want to keep adding.

There really is no upsizing in the robots. The s200 basket is as big as it gets. Other robots have other features for example my M500 has a 3rd brush that does extra scrubbing. I happen to like it for that. M600 has wifi connectivity, and fancier electronics. For what I see around here the S200 is the best bang for the buck and the most popular robot here. Start with that. If I had to choose between my Solar Breeze and my M500 the M500 wins every time. I happen to not have to choose so I have both.

Start with a robot and then decide if you want to keep adding.
Does that "full" alert come to your phone on that 500? I can't see the pool from the main part of the house so I need something to tell me it needs attention. Otherwise, out of sight -out of mind.

IMO ....Change the landscape. Open up the space around the pool, You have 2.5 acres to enjoy shaded areas. If this is a house you are going to be in for a while take you time and do things as time and money allow. Pools are a NO ROI adventure. In fact they also limit your "pool" of potential buyers if and when you choose to sell. You have a beautiful space.....best of luck!!!!!!

We like to call this the "yin"side of the house...shady, wind blocked, low energy kind of feel. My wife's favorite part is floating and looking up into the tree canopy. (But she doesn't really maintain it either ;)

My wife's favorite part is floating and looking up into the tree canopy

Loaf days in the pool are a blessing and a curse for me. Within a few minutes I notice I have 4 more widow makers that I have to take down, and notice which flowerbeds need weeding and that section of gutters is full again. It. Never. Ends.

Loaf days in the pool are a blessing and a curse for me. Within a few minutes I notice I have 4 more widow makers that I have to take down, and notice which flowerbeds need weeding and that section of gutters is full again. It. Never. Ends.
Then you are not properly "loafing"... you need to clear your mind of all chores and responsibilities.. The only thing that should be in your minds eye is "loafing"... I bet you didn't realize how much mental energy it takes to properly "loaf"??

Last edited:
Reactions: Newdude
Then you are not properly "loafing"... you need to clear your mind of all chores and responsibilities.. The only thing that should be in your minds eye is "loafing"... I bet you didn't realize how much mental energy it takes to properly "loaf"??
Ha !!! I totally get the loafing. Believe me. But I run busy 9 times out of 10 so when I finally get the chance to just float, I notice all the things that I didn’t have time to notice the week before. Then those things bother me until they’re done. I find that a tasty beverage or 6 really helps put off whatever I notice. Pssssssh !! Eh, tomorrow maybe. Lol.

Last edited:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support

Home ownership...the American dream, right? I tell my wife that as much as I love our house and pool, some days it feels like "Death by a thousand chores!"

I would also recommend the robot. We too have a lot of trees (and plenty of wind to bring over leaves from other properties) and have found that as long as I run it EVERY DAY, it can keep up with the volume. If we have had a particularly breezy day, I may run the leak rake along the bottom to get bigger leaves, but for the most part, the robot can deal with them OK.

Reactions: Newdude
This is one of the main reasons we decided to build a pool.
It took 2 or 3 seasons but we became the summer hang out spot for weekends. It was totally fine by me, I hate going places. Anybody in the inner circle knows to let me know i need more food and come on over. Nothing fancy, fresh burgers or ribs on paper plates, but when it’s done correctly..... they all rave about it. And everybody has a laid back blast. Young and old.

Reactions: Shirker
Home ownership...the American dream, right? I tell my wife that as much as I love our house and pool, some days it feels like "Death by a thousand chores!"

I would also recommend the robot. We too have a lot of trees (and plenty of wind to bring over leaves from other properties) and have found that as long as I run it EVERY DAY, it can keep up with the volume. If we have had a particularly breezy day, I may run the leak rake along the bottom to get bigger leaves, but for the most part, the robot can deal with them OK.

Thanks for the recommendation. Do you just leave it in the pool?

ROI really depends on where you live and the design and condition of the pool. Where I live a well built pool in good maintenance might add some value but it will make it easier to sell because of the weather and scarcity of pools in the area since all the new subdivisions have community pools.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.