Thanks Ida

While I don't want to leave myself exposed I'm also not sure it's worth putting too much effort into safeguarding against the possibility we see something like that again. Famous last words, I know.
Did you build the pool or inherit it by moving ? If you built it did they hit sand ? It would be pretty cheap to build a small berm or 1 block high retaining wall around the pool fence and sink a bunch of strategically placed 6 inch PVC pipes down to sand level. Fill them with gravel and some sort of grate and if the rain ever comes down that hard again it has somewhere to go.

But. If your clay soil is 30 foot deep it becaomes less easy. :ROFLMAO:

Reactions: Dave1096
Did you build the pool or inherit it by moving ? If you built it did they hit sand ? It would be pretty cheap to build a small berm or 1 block high retaining wall around the pool fence and sink a bunch of strategically placed 6 inch PVC pipes down to sand level. Fill them with gravel and some sort of grate and if the rain ever comes down that hard again it has somewhere to go.

But. If your clay soil is 30 foot deep it becaomes less easy. :ROFLMAO:
We built. Clay all the way. The builder did a good job of grading to direct water around the pool. This storm was just too much and flooded my entire yard.

Reactions: Newdude
Sorry that happened to you. It was not a "pool newbie" mistake. Hopefully, that is only a 15 year storm for you. Did the PB ever give any indication that that could happen? Same builder here, and that never came up. I got lucky. Our pool sits high in the yard and everything flows away. Could you show where the water was coming from?

Howie sucks big time:LOL:
Water came from my neighbor's yard. My street sits on a hill, so naturally water from my neighbor's property flows to my yard then to my other neighbor's yard on the other side and so on. The pool was built high enough and the yard graded to direct water around it...except in this case where Ida was just too much for the design. I'm hoping this is a one time deal...my neighbor who has lived here for 30 years said they've never seen the area flood like that before.

If you look past the deep end behind the shed, that's where the water flowed from directly into my pool. Entire pool and deck was submerged by 3" of water at one point.
20210901_183108.jpg

Reactions: markayash
Need help here too. I got hit by the eyewall. No power. Over 1 million without power and dont expect pool stores to be open.This is my neighbors saltwater pool. They have evacuated and wont br back until services are restored, estimated end of September. His elderly mother died during the evacuation. What can I do to help stabilize or partially restore his pool to minimize the load on him when he returns. Today I will scoop the debris and get that piece of my fence out of his pool. When I am done with mine I can put my pool robot in his pool repeatedly to pick up as much of the sediment as I can. I have two gas generators.

can I patch a generator to my pool’s electrical panel to run my pump? If so I can do the same for him. Mine is freshwater, his is salt.

my robot has made great progress with the sediment. Second pic is my pool. Still have work to do but its getting better.

Attachments

• 52270521-60F3-413B-8F51-65F1F8F1ABFA.jpeg
    52270521-60F3-413B-8F51-65F1F8F1ABFA.jpeg
    755.9 KB · Views: 49
  • A2B2C862-2244-47D2-BB83-3D4F4406290B.jpeg
    A2B2C862-2244-47D2-BB83-3D4F4406290B.jpeg
    483.2 KB · Views: 49
  • Sad
Reactions: Dave1096
Progress update:

Moving right along, I can see the main drains at the bottom of the deep end again. I backwashed my filter last night; it was showing a 20% pressure increase after running for about 12 hrs. This morning the pressure gauge indicates only about a 5% increase overnight. I'm feeling good, just gonna let the filter keep doing its thing.

Side note, for some reason my SWCG seems to be running more efficiently than ever before. I dialed it down to 40% yesterday to let my FC drop, and instead it went up 2.5ppm overnight. I usually have to run around 55% to maintain. I'm starting to wonder if I had too much salt in the pool this whole time, and now that it's been diluted the generator is happier. I have the K-1766 but haven't used it yet...just been going by the SWCG display reading. I'm gonna test my salt level later today and compare the two. For now, the SWCG is turned off until my FC drops back to within range.

20210903_092415.jpg

Reactions: Mdragger88
Need help here too. I got hit by the eyewall. No power. Over 1 million without power and dont expect pool stores to be open.This is my neighbors saltwater pool. They have evacuated and wont br back until services are restored, estimated end of September. His elderly mother died during the evacuation. What can I do to help stabilize or partially restore his pool to minimize the load on him when he returns. Today I will scoop the debris and get that piece of my fence out of his pool. When I am done with mine I can put my pool robot in his pool repeatedly to pick up as much of the sediment as I can. I have two gas generators.

can I patch a generator to my pool’s electrical panel to run my pump? If so I can do the same for him. Mine is freshwater, his is salt.

my robot has made great progress with the sediment. Second pic is my pool. Still have work to do but its getting better.
Oh man, I'm so sorry to hear about your neighbor's loss. That's terrible. I think it's great that you're doing what you can for his property while he's dealing with so much more. Best of luck to you. I hope your power is restored sooner than expected.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I added some DE to help filter the sediment from the hurricane. I accidentally added too much. Is it ok to run the filter with this pressure for 4 to 5 hours and then backwash?

Attachments

• 21138250-4933-4039-ACA3-CFC9319A47FD.jpeg
    21138250-4933-4039-ACA3-CFC9319A47FD.jpeg
    264.8 KB · Views: 2
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.