Knoxville, TN
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
CircuPool RJ-60
No questions for anyone to answer, just sitting here appreciating the information I’ve gathered from this site from both reading and answers to questions. I’ve only been a pool owner for a year now and kinda wish every home contract with a pool that people sign would have a link to this site in it!

Our pool has been through a lot. We bought the house on last year, paid for an inspection on the pool, was told it’s been professionally maintained for years by a company down the street. Had no leaks but would need an new plaster job in a few years and the concrete deck needs to be replaced on half of it. Not so bad right?

I tried to hire the company that had been maintaining the pool to keep doing it, but they said they aren’t “taking new customers”. I’d never heard of someone not wanting more customers!

I had a pool builder/ inspection company (Might be the same company that built the pool 20 years ago) give me a quote on replacing the pool deck, they replied they didn’t have a contractor with those skills. Really?!

It seems no one wants to touch my pool, so I had to do everything myself. When I found the water level dropping a couple inches in a week, I kept suspecting a leak but kept reviewing my pool inspection that said there was no leaks. I hired someone to come anyway with special microphone and he found the skimmers were leaking quite badly within the first few minutes and was able to patch them with some epoxy. The concrete deck had shifted and pulled the skimmer inlet away from the pool body. Argh!

So I kept testing once a week and adding pucks to the skimmers to keep the chlorine about 1.5ppm as the little booklet in my test kit said...

Then I hired a place to close the pool for the winter. They did a good job and advised me that pucks in the skimmer wasn’t a great idea cause that concentrated chlorine (And something about pH) goes right through the plumbing and could damage things over time. So I had them install a chlorinator puck dispenser along with a new filter since the old filter was seeping water through the fiberglass. I thought I was done since all I had to do was load up that dispenser and let it do it’s thing. I learned that it did. It loaded up the pool with CYA and I could start to see black algae growing on some of the worn off plaster areas in the pool! So I kept dumping more algaecide and brushing. Some improvement but not enough.

Then I found this site learned what was going on with the CYA and found my level was somewhere above 150. Don’t really know the real level cause the test isn’t reliable above 100. But after draining what seemed like an endless amount of water to reduce the CYA and keeping enough chlorine in there (buying 4 gallons of LQ a week), my pool water was finally clear but I was thinking theres no way I can keep doing this. I don’t want to test and dose the water every day at $5/gallon!

Then ran into discussions of the salt water chlorine generators. I’ve now had this SWCG system running for 2 days now and have not had to add any chlorine in those two days. In fact I just turned it down 10%. I also found the pool math app that keeps track of all the levels and has allowed me to see trends on how all the different chemical needs balance with each other, which has taught me how to predict fairly well what will happen over the next week. So I can go out of town for a week and not have green water when I return.

Which all that means is that sometimes I can come out here in the morning with a cup of coffee, sit by the pool and not do anything to it and know that it’s fine. So thanks for all the advice and time it took to compile all those articles.

If someone can advise me on how to keep the bullfrogs from pooping on the pool steps, that would be helpful though.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    880.2 KB · Views: 14
Great news!! So glad to hear its all coming together for you now :)

We found that after putting in a "FrogLog" in our pool that we now don't find critters in the skimmer or elsewhere in the pool. Perhaps it will help your bullfrogs get *outta the dang pool* before they do their business. :poop: Ours actually rests on our first step.
I'm sure we got it from Amazon.

Maddie

This is a great post! It makes me wonder if there should be a "Testimonials" forum section, for stories just like this? Where folks who came here at their wits end, followed the advice and process, and turned their pool around?

It might make for a powerful resource for those who are skeptical of the TFP method.

Reactions: cowboycasey
Great news!! So glad to hear its all coming together for you now :)

We found that after putting in a "FrogLog" in our pool that we now don't find critters in the skimmer or elsewhere in the pool. Perhaps it will help your bullfrogs get *outta the dang pool* before they do their business. :poop: Ours actually rests on our first step.
I'm sure we got it from Amazon.

Maddie

Froglog, interesting. I hadn’t seen that. The frogs seem to get out easily enough, it’s just what they leave behind I have trouble with. We did have a couple chipmunks and mice in the skimmers over the summer. I guess it’s good to not have dead animals floating in the skimmer even if I don’t mind the mice being dead.

Great story! Be sure to add your new SWCG to your signature.
Remember, the forum has to pay for all these electrons moving around ----
We are glad you have found our information helpful. Please, if you can, consider making a donation to TFP.
We are staffed by volunteers and are registered as an IRS 501 (c) (3) charity and donations are what keeps the forum operating without advertisements.

Support TFP!

Great story! Be sure to add your new SWCG to your signature.
Remember, the forum has to pay for all these electrons moving around ----
We are glad you have found our information helpful. Please, if you can, consider making a donation to TFP.
We are staffed by volunteers and are registered as an IRS 501 (c) (3) charity and donations are what keeps the forum operating without advertisements.

Support TFP!

Thanks, did both.

Reactions: Oly and mknauss
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.