Tf test dpd powder vs dpd foil tablets

Jun 14, 2012
Blaine, MN
My test from tf says 14 fc. The test with the tablet says 11. My cc in both tests is .5. Cya is 40. My pool finally went from green to murky blue on Wednesday. It took from june 25 to july 5 to go from swamp to murky blue. No chemicals or pump before june 25. I was using the tablets from last Tuesday until Friday when the refills from TF came. I had to shut off the pump for 2 hours yesterday and I went back to murky green during that time. This morning its back to murky blue. Which dpd should I be trusting?

The FAS-DPD test is accurate to 50 ppm FC. The DPD test is accurate to 10 ppm FC.

The dpd is a color matching test.

The FAS-DPD is a titration process.

Hi Marcello, I use the tablets too and prefer them over the powder. Is this a new batch of tablets? Try using 2 instead of one. In theory both tablet and powder should be providing an excess of DPD, so should be no difference. If you have another box of tablets from a different lot, you might try that. I order my tablets from Amazon and I have noticed that they do seem to be "factory seconds". For example, one box I received, every foil card had one tablet in the same location where the tablet was discolored (probably a pin hole in the foil). I had another box where each card had an empty "cell" where a tablet should be. I'd think they only sell them because chemically they are good, just packaging problems, but you never know. Also, have you done both tests twice with same results? I would also be sure to be super precise on measuring the sample of your pool water.

The downside of the tablets is that 1 may not be enough and 2 may be more than you need, so a little wasteful. The tests should match as the chemical is the same. Curious if the 2 tablets help match.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.