Illinois
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Jandy Aquapure 1400
So, trying to test Alkalinity for the first time. Currently, my first tests are...

FC: 3
pH: 7.87 (digital test, since i can't distinguish the colors)
CYA: 50 (should be up to 65 or so with the next test)

I did the Alkalinity test twice just to make sure I'm doing it correctly, and I don't think I'm getting it right. It turns green with the second reagent (edited), then turns clear with the 3rd reagent (edited)... but I don't see a red color at all, and I don't think I see pink either. I had the pool maintenance guy use one of his Aqua Check test strips, and TA comes out at 50. I'm wondering why I can't make the TA test work. The video I watched on the TF-PRO website (linked to YouTube) didn't show the tester "wiping" the tip after each drop (even though the instructions said to do so) so I didn't wipe between drops either. Nor did I hold the bottle completely vertical (I didn't think that mattered?). I'm color blind, so maybe that's part of the reason this test isn't working for me but after 14 drops, the water still looked clear and not red. That doesn't make sense since the AquaCheck test strip seems to show 50 for TA.

It it possible I'm mistaking clear for light pink? I was looking for red since the instructions said red...

My other test levels seem okay, and the water is super clear as well.

Last edited:
There are three reagents used for the TA test. Read the above.

Oops sorry! Yes I used all *3*. (I was doing the recap from the top of my head and forgot about the 3rd) ..

After adding the R0008, the sample should turn green or blue if you have TA in the water. You say yours is clear? That is not possible with the dye in the R0008. Unless your FC is very high ----

Nono, let me clarify, sorry.! it definitely turned GREEN with the R0008. then it seems to go CLEAR when i add the next reagent?

Jess,

As you are adding R0009, it should change from Green to Red.. Since you are color blind... it may change to what you see as clear.. How many drops of R0009 does it take before it goes "clear"?? The key in my mind is that it should change from one color to another... When does that happen?

Thanks,

Jim R.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.