TF-100 refills

Leebo said:
Have you watched the video on YouTube that shows the test?? With a few tries you can slowly get the hang of where it's at.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NxaqoW-_ ... E2EE701C4D

snip ..

yes - I've been doing that CYA test since last July .. I 'get it' ... but still ... I guess I'm to A/R about its accuracy ... so somewhere between 40 & 55 is good.

tcat said:
Taylor Technologies, pH Solution #4 (same as 0014 I assume)
PST-R-0004-A 1 $2.38

FYI, the R0004 and R0014 are NOT the same. One is meant for the small square tube (with the TF100) and one is meant for the larger round tube (with the K-2006). That said, I am pretty sure the ingredients are the same, but the concentration is different. So, it should work, but you may have to use a different number of drops.

Here is some info ... and additional links in the thread:
still-cannot-get-a-bead-on-my-ph-t52726.html?hilit=pH%200014%200004

EDIT SUMMARY:
You will likely have to use 2 drops of R0004 in the small square block or the colors may be too saturated

tcat said:
Yeah, that black dot disappears somewhere between 100 and 40 for me.... is it a shadow, my eyes seeing spots, or just a dark murky sample?

My frustration is the light condition. It makes a big difference in when the dot disappears. "Stand outdoors with your back to the sun and hold the view tube at about waist level. " Fine, but time of day and weather make a huge difference in the result. I live in NJ, not some sunny desert and the light is never the same twice when I need to test.

LOL, I had assumed wrongly that "phenol red" was phenol red; they should add % to the label! Identical MSDS sheet on both I found one bit of info: "R-0014 is used in a 9 ml comparator, R-0004 is used in a 44 ml comparator", by that reasoning 1 drop would be equivalent to 5 drops. I have some of 0014 left, so I'll test it twice tonight and see if 1 or 2 drops = same color.

That'll teach me not to buy from anyone but TFtestkits!

jblizzle said:
tcat said:
Taylor Technologies, pH Solution #4 (same as 0014 I assume)
PST-R-0004-A 1 $2.38

FYI, the R0004 and R0014 are NOT the same. One is meant for the small square tube (with the TF100) and one is meant for the larger round tube (with the K-2006). That said, I am pretty sure the ingredients are the same, but the concentration is different. So, it should work, but you may have to use a different number of drops.

Here is some info ... and additional links in the thread:
still-cannot-get-a-bead-on-my-ph-t52726.html?hilit=pH%200014%200004

EDIT SUMMARY:
You will likely have to use 2 drops of R0004 in the small square block or the colors may be too saturated

Shhhh let me tell you a secret. The video was filmed on a day where if you could find the sun at all I'd give you a dollar. The camera was facing right towards where the sun would be, if it weren't hidden by the clouds. I'm not sure we followed a single suggestion to acheive "the best result" in the video. Still came out at 50 using the standard. The main idea is to make sure you don't have a harsh light shining right into the tube. Holding a maglight right on top of the tube will give you a false reading. As Dave suggested, try the tests indoors. I use a white posterboard at the kitchen table under a bright LED lightbulb. Makes for a consistent sun, and I can test in the AC.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Just a side note on shipping.....it has become obnoxiously expensive. They have increased in price by about 25% or so in the five years we have been shipping. (maybe more, that's a guesstimate) Today, we shipped a kit (plus a speedstir and salt test) to AZ for $23 something... :shock: :shock: :shock: Yikes

I really wanted to buy a test kit from your guys, but the cheapest shipping option in $19 to Arizona. That put the kit at about 90 dollars. Can't do it. Sorry, I know your hands are tied. Did you consider setting up a partner in the CA/NV/AZ area to do the bulk order/package and ship? There are so many pools between just those three states...

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.