TF-100 Kit

The chlorine test kit in the K-1000 (OTO) is not very accurate. FC is determined by color interpretation and once you get into the 5+ FC range, it's nearly worthless. It's best just to use it in a pinch to test for the presence of chlorine. The more yellow the color, the higher the FC. For the most accurate testing, use the FAS-DPD (powder/drop) test in the TF-100. "Total" chlorine is just the sum of the FC and CC.

Reactions: genlee and Leebo
The OTO test in the K-1000 is typically used to test for the presence of CL. It is a quick and cheaper way to "ballpark" test CL than the more expensive and slightly more time consuming FAS-DPD (one with the jar of powder) test. This is how I use mine...daily, in the morning as I'm rushing kids out the door, I get the little blue box and see what my CL and pH are. If I get a pale yellow or no yellow at all, I know I'm going to be stopping somewhere to get some bleach. If it is a strong yellow, I'll often wait for a day or two and get a more precise CL number using the FAS-DPD test. Then, when I can sit down by the pool, I run my FAS-DPD test to get an exact number and see whether I need to SLAM or if I'm good. Call me at 919-528-1454 for any questions about your TF-100 test kit.

Reactions: genlee
I've only had a pool for 4 months, but this routine has served me well:

Every day - I use the small test to check for chlorine and PH. As other have said, its tough to get a true FC reading with this, but for me, my target FC is 5, which I can pretty much ballpark on the smaller test. If its lighter than the 5 FC square, I add some liquid chlorine, if it is at the 5 square I probably still add a little liquid chlorine based on sun/planned usage, and if it is darker/more orange than the 5 square I'm good until the next day.

Weekly (or more often at first and when something seems off) - I do the full set of TF-100 tests. The first month or so I did the full set of tests much more often until I felt comfortable backing off.

I've only had a pool for 4 months, but this routine has served me well:

Every day - I use the small test to check for chlorine and PH. As other have said, its tough to get a true FC reading with this, but for me, my target FC is 5, which I can pretty much ballpark on the smaller test. If its lighter than the 5 FC square, I add some liquid chlorine, if it is at the 5 square I probably still add a little liquid chlorine based on sun/planned usage, and if it is darker/more orange than the 5 square I'm good until the next day.

Weekly (or more often at first and when something seems off) - I do the full set of TF-100 tests. The first month or so I did the full set of tests much more often until I felt comfortable backing off.
Do you use the K-1000 (blue box) for your pH ?

Do you use the K-1000 (blue box) for your pH ?
Yes, I use the K-1000 daily and do both the FC and PH tests there. I also have a digital pH meter, but I cant seem to get consistent readings on it so I've pretty much given up on it.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.