TF-100 - is 1 test-kit enough for 4 to 5 months or I need XL?

Sep 6, 2021
Ontario, Canada
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-40
This is my second year with the new pool (last year we only used it for half a month). I'm ordering the TF-100 from the US and planning to use it for this summer and early fall.

Do I need the XL option for the SWG Salt pool or one TF-100 testkits (with ~70 tests for Chlorine + others) sufficient?

I'm planning to drive to the US to pick up the kit.

Thanks!

I got my TF-100 early May last year. Ran out of R-0013 (CYA) reagent three weeks ago and my R-0871 (FAS/DPD Titrating) is unlikely to last more than 2 more tests.
Note: According to my wife, early on last season I was suffering from obsessive testing syndrome. No SLAM though.

I would think the standard kit should be sufficient for you to complete this pool season.

I got my TF-100 early May last year. Ran out of R-0013 (CYA) reagent three weeks ago and my R-0871 (FAS/DPD Titrating) is unlikely to last more than 2 more tests.
Note: According to my wife, early on last season I was suffering from obsessive testing syndrome. No SLAM though.
Thank you for letting me know. Do you keep your pool opened for the entire year?

Make sure you know what they are adding to your pool and that they don’t add anything that doesn’t belong in a pool (like floc, clarifier or copper based algaecide).
Thanks.. below is what they are doing for my pool opening + chemical kit:

– Removal of all winterizing plugs and gizmos
– Reinstall all applicable pool fixtures, ladders, diving boards, and lights
– Priming, start-up, and air bleed of pool recirculation equipment
– Visual inspection to ensure that all components are functioning properly
– Calibrate automation system
– Add starter chemical kit (starter kit includes: 1 l of shock (chlorine-free oxidizer), 1 l of sequestering agent and 1 l of 40% algae side)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
@mknauss has been doing this a loooong time (sorry, didn't mean to make you sound old :) ). When he speaks, I listen.

I also agree. Please do not add any of these, the are not necessary and can cause other issues.

How long do you have to wait?

What does the water look like now? Pics help.

@mknauss has been doing this a loooong time (sorry, didn't mean to make you sound old :) ). When he speaks, I listen.

I also agree. Please do not add any of these, the are not necessary and can cause other issues.

How long do you have to wait?
I'm not sure actually, I just ordered TF-100 from TFTestKits with standard shipping option to NewYork state (Ogdensburg). Not sure how long does it take them to ship and arrive.

I do have some cheap instant test strips lying around the house.

Non-chlorine oxidizer is MPS. That will add sulfates to your water. Sulfates can corrode metals and concrete. Under high CH sulfates may crystallize the calcium ins gypsum. Also don’t add dry acid as it also adds sulfates. MPS has other issues in the short term.

The 40% algaecide does nothing if you have proper levels of chlorine. It can foam and will fight with your chlorine potentially helping algae. The only algaecide that can ever be used, but usually is not needed is Polyquat 60.

Sequestering Agents are used to keep metals from staining your pool. Not sure about it’s harms, but unless you have metals in your fill water or used metal based products in the past it is totally unnecessary.

Last edited:
Reactions: mknauss
With a SWG, in addition to the TF-100, you need the Taylor K-1766 salt test and SpeedStir/SmartStir - OR - the TF Salt Pro testkit (includes salt test and SpeedStir/SmartStir).

As long as you store the test kit indoors (climate controlled) when not actually in use and you maintain your pool to TFP standards, you can possibly get two seasons out of the reagents. After two seasons, you would just order the refill kit (usually on sale in late March or early April each year).

Last edited:
Reactions: mknauss
I'm not sure actually, I just ordered TF-100 from TFTestKits with standard shipping option to NewYork state (Ogdensburg). Not sure how long does it take them to ship and arrive.

I do have some cheap instant test strips lying around the house.
Ignore the strips.

TFTest is pretty quick, so you should have them soon.

When he opens, tell him to add nothing. You add 5ppm FC daily, or about 55 ounces of liquid chlorine a day until your test kit gets here.

You should download PoolMath I used this with your pool size and 7.5% liquid chlorine to get to the 55 ounces. If you find liquid chlorine in a different percent, you can use pool math to figure out how to add 5ppm (5 FC) daily based on what % liquid chlorine you can find.

With a SWG, in addition to the TF-100, you need the Taylor K-1766 salt test and SpeedStir/SmartStir - OR - the TF Salt Pro testkit (includes salt test and SpeedStir/SmartStir).

As long as you store the test kit indoors (climate controlled) when not actually in use and you maintain your pool to TFP standards, you can possibly get two seasons out of the reagents. After two seasons, you would just order the refill kit (usually on sale in late March or early April each year).
Thank you for the suggestion!

Ignore the strips.

TFTest is pretty quick, so you should have them soon.

When he opens, tell him to add nothing. You add 5ppm FC daily, or about 55 ounces of liquid chlorine a day until your test kit gets here.

You should download PoolMath I used this with your pool size and 7.5% liquid chlorine to get to the 55 ounces. If you find liquid chlorine in a different percent, you can use pool math to figure out how to add 5ppm (5 FC) daily based on what % liquid chlorine you can find.
Wow... this is great! Thank you so much!

Non-chlorine oxidizer is MPS. That will add sulfates to your water. Sulfates can corrode metals and concrete. Under high CH sulfates may crystallize the calcium ins gypsum. Also don’t add dry acid as it also adds sulfates. MPS has other issues in the short term.

The 40% algaecide does nothing if you have proper levels of chlorine. It can foam and will fight with your chlorine potentially helping algae. The only algaecide that can ever be used, but usually is not needed is Polyquat 60.

Sequestering Agents are used to keep metals from staining your pool. Not sure about it’s harms, but unless you have metals in your fill water or used metal based products in the past it is totally unnecessary.
Thank you AK for the explanations!

Waiting eagerly for my test kit now!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.