TF-100 calcium hardness testing

1bayouboy

Jun 29, 2021
Charleston, SC
I can't seem to get any change in color when adding the R-0012. Using 10mL of water with 10 drops of the R-0010 and then 3 drops of the R-0011L while stirring with the speedstir. It never changes to blue. Neither does the 100ppm water sample included with the kit. Baffled??

Some questions:
- Gave you tried testing your tap water? If you have a water softener, test the water spigot outside.
- Does the sample turn a kind of purple when you add the R-0011 to indicate the presence of calcium?
- How many drops have you tried so far? Number of drops x 25 = ???

Have not tried testing my tap water...will do that and report. The R-0011L turns the sample a reddish purple. Adding the R-0012 never changes the color as far as I can tell even after 15+ drops. My local Leslie's pool store uses a Lamotte digital spin lab tester. No idea how accurate that may be but it gave 214 for calcium hardness and I was using that as an expected number for my own testing...or at least in that ball park. I could not get it to change with the 100 value test sample either that was in the kit either. Could the R-0012 simply be bad?

When adding the R0012. the bottle is vertical. No or very little pressure on the bottle. The drop will form and fall from the tip every second or so.

The pool store CH is likely very wrong, that test mechanism is known to report very low CH levels.

Adding the R-0012 never changes the color as far as I can tell even after 15+ drops.
20 drops would be a CH of 500, so don't stop adding drops. Some people easily have a CH of 600 - 700 or more, especially if they used cal-hypo products in the past. So finish the test until the sample turns a light baby blue.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.