texas winter storm - broken pool equipments - water recovery

nityntiy

May 17, 2016
Dallas, TX
My pool is so messed up (dark green water) because the plumbing lines are broken and still waiting on the parts. Haven't run the pump in a month and now it's algae infestation. The repair guy advised to shock the pool with granular shock treatment and scrub the walls for now.

I didn't know I could shock/chlorinate the pool without running the pump and still would be effective. I have 6-8 bottles of chlorinating liquid (10%) laying around. Should I get the granular shock instead to get the pool back to blue? if yes, how much should I use and how frequent?

Any tips from the TFP experts? I should have asked this here earlier. :cry:

Yes, we tell folks who have lost power to do that all the time. Just use liquid chlorine and brush the pool to circulate the chlorine. It isn't perfect if the filter isn't running, but for some its enough to head off algae.

For your sized pool I would use one gallon liquid chlorine per day of liquid chlorine....and see how that holds you until repairs made.

Don't worry.... we're here for the SLAM process when the time comes. But getting started will make a huge difference instead of just watching the grunge move in.

Maddie :flower:

Reactions: nityntiy
Do not use granular shock. It may not dissolve completely right away and if it sits on the liner it can bleach it out in spots. Liquid chlorine is fine to use but you won't be able to clear the pool until the plumbing is repaired and the filter is back online.

Reactions: nityntiy
I need to replace the pump housing (whisperflo 2 HP), the union, 2 jandy valves, 90 degree check valve and the associated pvc lines. The heater needs to be bypassed as well.
The repair guy said its easier to get a new pump ordered(another $200 extra) than wait on the housing which will take longer due to the current demand.

Are you waiting on someone to change out that broken pipe, or can you do it? PVC isn't very hard to do. Videos on Youtube will teach you. Is that the only pipe broken?

Ah... never mind.. I see the other damage now with the added pics. Do you know how long it will be?

Do not use granular shock. It may not dissolve completely right away and if it sits on the liner it can bleach it out in spots. Liquid chlorine is fine to use but you won't be able to clear the pool until the plumbing is repaired and the filter is back online.
That's a bummer, he told me if I use granular shock (like 6-7 scoops) I could turn the water to blue by tomorrow. Got excited for nothing I guess.:cautious:

Are you waiting on someone to change out that broken pipe, or can you do it? PVC isn't very hard to do. Videos on Youtube will teach you. Is that the only pipe broken?

Ah... never mind.. I see the other damage now with the added pics. Do you know how long it will be?
He just stopped by earlier, I haven't ordered anything yet.

I was waiting on another pool guy who stopped by a month ago, gave me a quote to fix (without even analyzing the broken parts properly), just told me I got lucky, all I need is to replace PVC lines and left. He never followed through to do the repair and now my pool is a mess.

I need to order parts online ASAP. Thought if I could shock it and get the water back to blue first, I could buy some time to do the fix. Seems like that's not gonna happen.

Do I throw in some dichlor tablets as well along with the chlorine? I don't want the CYA going super high as well.

How's your CYA level?? Cause ALL granular products contain either almost equal amounts of CYA along with the chlorine, or sometimes calcium. A lot of folks don't want to increase either of those, they just want the chlorine.

That guy sounds like a pool dinosaur. He isn't necessarily up to date on good pool practices.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
How's your CYA level?? Cause ALL granular products contain either almost equal amounts of CYA along with the chlorine, or sometimes calcium. A lot of folks don't want to increase either of those, they just want the chlorine.

That guy sounds like a pool dinosaur. He isn't necessarily up to date on good pool practices.
Haven't tested in over a month. Last time it was around 30-40. I used to drop 3 tabs weekly for almost a year until I read up about CYA from here and found out my readings were 100+. So stopped using the tabs completely for another year as I didn't want to drain the water.

Currently, I have whisperflo 2HP WF-28. I was told to get a SuperFlo instead. But after doing some research I found out whisperflo is high head compared to superflo being medium head. Should I stick with whisperflo itself? I just need the whisperflo housing but it's mostly out of stock everywhere.

Your signature does not show spa, but your picture does. So with a spa, I would suggest an Intelliflo VS. It will allow you to run the pool and spa very efficiently.

The company above shows them In Stock.
I installed my current pump 3 years ago when the last one broke. So not quite sure if I want to spent $1000+ on a new one. Also I never use my spa. I am planning to bypass the heater if it's broken anyways.
Regarding the signature, I am not sure what spa info I should include here. Where can I find it? maybe the heater name?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.