Texas Poolmageddon Victim Need Equipment Recs

Jun 11, 2015
Plano, Texas
Howdy all. I'm another of the victims of bureaucratic incompetence in Texas last week, and am looking at immense pool equipment damage. If they'd have told us they were going to shut down our electricity for several days in below freezing temp, I'd have just drained it all and been done with it. But they didn't, so I took the time dogs off my pool timer and went to bed as always. SO, when they shut of our electricity at 2am, by the time I got up, the damage was done. After the thaw, we have multiple cracked PVC pipes, stainless DE filter lid popped off (hoping it's not wrecked), backwash valve and pool pump tank housing/basket cracked. Not sure about the heater yet; need to get the pump up and running to see if that's also gone.

SO, aside from the PVC, which I can at least do a quick fix on; I need to get the pump running to see what I've got. The pump is an old old Sta-Rite Dura Glas 2hp. The tank body is shot, but the motor worked fine before the poolmageddon. I'm going to break it down tomorrow to see if there was other internal damage to the impeller, diffuser, etc.. If not, I'm just going to order a new tank body and be done with it. If not; I'll need to replace the pump and I'll be fishing in the dark. Pool is around 34000 gallons with an attached 500 gallon spa overflowing into the pool. No water features, 72sq ft DE filter, inline chlorinator and Polaris pressure side cleaner w/booster pump, so the pump is just running the pool. I'm a huge fan of keep it simple stupid, especially with pool equipment. Don't need any automation. If I have to replace the pump, what would you all suggest? I'm extremely skeptical of the VS pumps, as I don't think I'd ever see a payback. My old one ran eight hours a day in the summer and things were all good. I'd also prefer one that allows pump motor replacement only, as the motor is the most likely to fail. Again, NOT a fan of computer controlled anything in the outdoor environment. Two speed doesn't seem to provide any real advantages. Looking for something that will just run for another 25 years. Will be replacing it with another 2hp unit. Brand and model number, and online retailer you'd recommend if possible. Thanks in advance for your thoughts and guidance!!

So sorry for all the damage your pool has suffered. Had you not said otherwise, I'd point you to a Pentair IntelliFlo VS or their new XF. Gold standards for pool pumps. Can't imagine the energy savings of a VS wouldn't pay for itself much sooner than the lifespan figure you mentioned, especially at 8 hours a day.

More to the point: if it hasn't happened already, you won't be able to buy anything but VS for much longer (in the HP you're after). So if you can even still buy a 2HP single speed, be sure there is going to be a motor replacement path, as I don't think it will be single speed. Something for you to research. (Or others here will know.)

I get why you wouldn't want a lot of electronics, but the onboard controller of an IntelliFlo can replace your timer. And it has built-in freeze protection, too. With VS, you can run mostly low RPM, then program in an hour or two of high-speed for some good skimmer action. Not to mention you can barely hear them when they're in "low gear." I think you'd find good value and purpose in a VS, and good ROI, too. And you'd be compliant with upcoming Federal energy laws. Everybody wins.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.