Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Jandy Aquapure 1400
Hi all

I know this was asked and answered in 2009 but in following the Forum rules Im creating a new thread

Im interested in Low NOX because its quieter. The neighbor has asked about the noise from the existing LAars LX 400 low nox. Most of the noise comes from the fan.

I get that low nox is lower emissions but the most vendors dont publish efficiency differences between the types.

Ive researched and this shows an exemption for residential boilers

Controlling NOx Emissions from Water Heaters, Small Boilers, and Process Heaters - TCEQ - www.tceq.texas.gov

http://texreg.sos.state.tx.us/public/readtac$ext.ViewTAC?tac_view=5&ti=30&pt=1&ch=117&sch=E&div=3&rl=Y

"This division (relating to Water Heaters, Small Boilers, and Process Heaters) does not apply to:
(1) units using a fuel other than natural gas;

(2) units used in recreational vehicles;

(3) Type 0 units, or Type 1 or 2 units at single-family residences, used exclusively to heat swimming pools and hot tubs;

(4) units manufactured in Texas for shipment and use outside of Texas; and

(5) units that do not comply with the nitrogen oxides specifications in §117.3205 of this title (relating to Emission Specifications) that are sold, supplied, or offered for sale in Texas, provided that the manufacturer or distributor can demonstrate that the units are intended for shipment and use outside of Texas, and that the manufacturer or distributor has taken reasonable, prudent precautions to assure that the units are not distributed for sale in Texas. This paragraph does not apply to units that are sold, supplied, or offered for sale by any person to retail outlets in Texas. "

My 400k would be type 2 in a residence ....

Am I reading this wrong ? Or is it a different rule that applies ?

It appears to me that the rules apply to commercial use only ?

"Atmospheric heaters are the most common type of pool heater in the Raypak and Jandy Lines. Most Pentair & Hayward heaters come standard as Low NOx. Low NOx is required for 5 counties in Southern California only, and for all commercial heaters in Texas only."

I don't understand what you are asking? Do you want low Nox or not?

I replied in your other thread that if quiet is what you are looking for, get the Raypak 406A. Your pump will be louder than the heater. The only way I can tell it's running is to put my hand over the exhaust... It's that quiet.

Unless you are planning to have your heater install inspected, how will anyone know what you have in your yard?

I want quiet

Which I assumed was low nox - based in mpart on Brians response on other thread ...

Just wondering if its possible to BUT That through regular channels in TX

Both here and in conversations with "experts" im getting conflicting responses as to whether I can GET low nox

AND the Raypak dealers in Texas are VERY busy and VERY bad at keeping appts

I see no reason why you can't get it. Are you opposed to online ordering?

The 406A does not meet the Low NOX requirements and it is silent.

The 407A is the Low NOX version but if you don't need the emission requirement then why spend the extra money?

Low NOX does not mean quiet. Take Pentair's MasterTemp...it meets the low NOX requirements but sounds like a freight train when it starts up.

The 407A is the Low NOX version but if you don't need the emission requirement then why spend the extra money?

Low NOX does not mean quiet. Take Pentair's MasterTemp...it meets the low NOX requirements but sounds like a freight train when it starts up.

THANKS

To me, low nox means it has a big blower fan on it like the current low nox LAars LX400

loud as heck

I'm not opposed to buying online ... Just wanted to be sure to get warranty and don't have time to do install myself

Supposed to have a Raypak dealer installer here today ... we will see what they say about low nox and if its required

Because it is better for cleaner air? Lower NOx is good for everyone who breaths, so putting health ahead of money is a darn good reason.

At 400,000 btu per hour that is a LOT of saved emissions. A gas water heater is only 40,000 btu.

Lower NOx are usually more efficient too since the burn mixtures are more tightly controlled, monitored, and adjusted to meet the levels.

Being in So Cal I have a Raypak 407A Low Nox because I have to. I used to have a 406A which lasted 22 yrs then crapped out. The low nox heater does have a fan which makes it a little louder, but in my opinion not that much more. Depending upon the temperature, the fan may or may not come on. If you do not have to have the low Nox version then just go with the 406A. You will not regret getting a Raypak heater, they are the best.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.