Texas Coast & Inland - Balancing pool w Lot's of Rain

I drained about 6" of water because it was about to overflow. Not sure if we will lose power and we are expecting more rain.

I'll see how the waters hold up and will do a test and add chlorine. So far so good. Got a bunch of leaves in the pool though which is something I never have. Mostly neighbors trees.

Amazingly, I have had very few leaves drop into the pool. FC holding steady around 14. Lots of rain to come (6 inches so far), but doing well here.

Thinking about our neighbors in Rockport, Corpus and the Coastal Bend. :(

Glad to hear all is holding well, and yes, prayers to those in direct hit of storm.

Been living in Texas for 5 decades and never saw a storm re-form that fast and turn into a CAT-4 hurricane. It came out of nowhere...so far, 6-7" here and holding.

I have a submersible pump ready to go w hose ran to street...FC = 7-8 and pH around 7.5 - 7.6...going to drop that before the next major rain band comes. Just brushed pool and netted a few minor things from bottom - hairnets are working awesome - still cannot believe how effective they do.

Finally, pool temp dropped to 80...min it hits 79, going for the swim, unless lightening is anywhere near - safe wishes to all, tstex

Texas Coast & Inland - Balancing pool w Lot's of Rain

I'm at 6 1/2 inches of rain since midnight, most of which took place from around 6 am to 10.

I've got the hose hooked to the main pump and along with the overflow drain, the pool water has stayed just below the coping.

I'm going to keep draining for another 6" I think.

I haven't checked chlorine but I went ahead and added some pucks to my chlorinator since the pump has been running. I'm hoping that will keep ph down a little while keeping my chlorine levels elevated.

Good times.

Edit: I did test everything yesterday and brought up my FC to my slam level, and added acid to lower my ph down to 7.2.

Just went out during a break in the storm and brushed / netted all the debris out. Let the pumps run for about 30min while I was working. Looks like I might need to make some adjustments. TA and FC getting low and pH getting high.

Should I correct the pH first (which will drive down my TA more)?
c5940fbf4ca2e9e343338228ea016d12.jpg

Officially at 8.1"

My pool temp reads 80 degrees. Can't believe you're at 88 Jar...does your pool receive sun all day?

Yes, add some bleach and a little m-acid bc if you receive lots of rain overnight, it can go high w dilution and mainly agitation from rain drops..

Good luck fellow Texans !!

Pool this morning was at the coping so I drained to the normal line. Now it's back up and I hope the overflow can keep up. I'd say about 7-8 inches or rain so far here. We are in the middle of a band and it's not letting up with a lot of thunder and lightning this time around.

We we had about a 2 hour break this afternoon and the kids went swimming water was 88 yesterday morning now it's about 80.

My water level is back to just under the coping as well. I'm in Spring, too (off of Riley Fuzzel and Rayford). I went ahead and started up the pump to start draining again, along with the overflow during this "quiet period" of the rain.

I show that we've received 9.89 inches of rain for the day (from midnight last night). I expect we will probably get another couple of inches at a minimum tonight. Long way to go.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I tested the water moments ago. Everything looks good except my ch. I'm now way low. Went from 275 a couple of days ago to 175 this morning.

My csi is at -.72 so that's concerning but once my ph rises it should be within the -.60 to +.60 range I think.

I have a 5 lbs bag of ch increaser but that won't get me much.

I don't know if I should use that now while the rain continues to fall at this pace.

I'm now reading 21.08 inches of rain received since Friday night.

Lost power for a couple of hours. Pool water wasn't contained any longer, but now started to drain again. Rainfall now at 27.56 since Friday night.

I brought up my FC to slam level and was at 10.5 earlier this morning, so I'm good there. I'll check again tomorrow.

I've done my 5th and 6th drain to below the tile line this morning. Added Chlorine.

pH sitting at 7.2. Added 11lbs of baking soda to adjust my TA of 50 and threw a puck into the skimmer to bring up my CYA a smidge.

Holding strong! We are a lot more fortunate than others in the Houston area.

Yes, in the end a messed up pool is nothing compared to devastation others are facing in the Houston area. My hearts go out to them and I hope Harvey gets his butt out of here to offer some relief and hopefully those affected get back on their feet soon.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.