Testing Kits

NewFGOwner

Jul 14, 2019
Pennsylvania
Is the colorQ Pro 7 by Lamonte a reasonable reliable kit? We bought it at the beginning of the season and it seems consistent and reliable. Will it be reliable for the over night test? I know it’s not the recommended one on this forum, but as we already spent $150 on it I’m not inclined to buy a replacement just yet. Interested in your thoughts. My results are that my water is clean.

Thanks!

That is Mr. @Jimrahbe that has a Color Q. Not me!!!

Only real issue with it is testing FC above 10 ppm. If you get a FAS-DPD test kit, you should be fine. Also the CH test is not the best, but if you are not dealing with high CH fill water, you should be OK.

Reactions: Mr. Muriaticacid
N,

I have both the TF-100 and the ColorQ.. The ColorQ works fine, if you understand its drawbacks...

The TF-100 can measure very accurately FC up to about 50 ppm, which is important if you ever need to do a SLAM... SLAM Process. The Color Q measures up to just under 10 ppm.. You can dilute the sample, but no matter the test kit, dilation causes accuracy errors.

The ColorQ measures Total Hardness, (No matter that LaMotte calls it CH), unlike the TF-100 which measures Calcium Hardness. (CH).. There can be a huge difference between CH and TH depending on your local water.

The ColorQ uses small water samples, so it is much easier to get errors than with the TF-100..

All that said, I use my TF-100 like I would use a torque wrench.. When I absolutely what to make sure the value is what it needs to be, then I use the TF-100, but for my routine tests, where I am look at changes, and not an absolute number, the ColorQ works fine.. It is smaller, easier to use, and comes in a professional looking case.

Because I have the TF-100 I know that the difference between my local TH and CH is about 50 ppm... so when I use the ColorQ, I just subtract 50 ppm from whatever the ColorQ says.

The ColorQ will work fine for the Overnight Chlorine Loss Test (OCLT) as long as you keep the starting FC below 10 ppm...

Thanks,

Jim R.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.