Testing for first time

That will depend on your CYA.
Chlorine levels are based on CYA - FC/CYA Levels

How have you been chlorinating your pool?

TFP principals are based on accurate at home testing.
Recommend you get one of the test kits listed - Test Kits Compared

Have a read thru Pool Care Basics

We can help you get and keep your pool trouble free - but you need one of the recommended test kits to accurately test the pool water yourself.

Inspiration: How Clear is TFP Clear?

Exactly! Try dilution 50/50 with distilled water to get down into the yellows. Do you have a test kit that will test higher than five (FAS?DPD)?
I just received the TF-PRo kit. The container maxes at 5. I did the Free chlorine test had had to add 80 drops of R-0871 to get it clear. I have a pool service, now but looking to do this myself. Sounds like they are adding to much Chlorine. It’s 115 degrees here in Vegas so should burn off quickly.

That will depend on your CYA.
Chlorine levels are based on CYA - FC/CYA Levels

How have you been chlorinating your pool?

TFP principals are based on accurate at home testing.
Recommend you get one of the test kits listed - Test Kits Compared

Have a read thru Pool Care Basics

We can help you get and keep your pool trouble free - but you need one of the recommended test kits to accurately test the pool water yourself.

Inspiration: How Clear is TFP Clear?
I’m using the TF-PRo kit.

Great!
Post a full set of current test results.

FC
CC
pH
TA
CH
CYA
Water temperature
Salt (if you have a SWG)

You can use PoolMath to enter your results.
Share your PoolMath logs to the forum.

The OTO test (the one you mentioned above) is more to see if you have any chlorine in the pool)
The FAS-DPD test will provide an accurate FC reading.

Hey Sascher. :wave: Looks like the others are offline at the moment. I'm a Vegas native transplanted in Texas. :p. I feel your CH pain. If you tested properly, that is a crazy high CH level that will only lead to scale. This is not the greatest time for a water exchange unless you have a really good sump pump and can refill fast in the early morning hours. Are you sure about that CH?

Reactions: Mdragger88

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
As to the test numbers above, the pH needs to be lowered down to about 7.2, and if you have no algae, the CYA increased to about 70. But don't do the CYA yet until we know if you are going to exchange some water and/or if you need to confirm you have no algae.

well, with an FC of 40, they completely overdosed you. Let FC drift down to around 8 ppm and hold it there for now.

Don't mess with pH. Your FC is too high to get a good test. Wait until FC comes down to around 8 ppm before you test pH again.

Put 3 parts distilled water in a cylinder and add 1 part pool water. Next run the CH test using that solution. If your first test was correct, you should get a result of about 400 ppm.

Is a pool service managing your pool water?

Last edited:
Reactions: Mdragger88
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.