Testing CYA after adding liquid stabilizer

Bvacchiano

Silver Supporter
Apr 6, 2018
Sugar Land, Texas
I jus want to make sure I’m clear on this. The only reason you guys say wait a week to test CYA is because the SOLID stabilizer may not have completely dissolved yet. Obviously this shouldn’t be the case with liquid stabilizer. How long after adding this should u wait to test? I currently have a gallon of it so I’m going to use it. It’s the Natural Chemistry stuff.

We don't say to wait a week anymore. With solid 24 hours after the last of it dissolved it should be fully readable. With liquid it is probably shorter but I would still give it 24 hours to be sure.

So I bought the TF 50 ppm CYA standard solution. I put it the rest bottle to below the label, put the solution in, shook. Basically did everything identical to what I would do with pool water but used the solution instead. High noon,back to sun,etc. at 50 ppm the dot is CLEAR as day. Somebody explain this to me. I did it three times three different days. I honestly think the CYA test is BS.

Just to make sure we have this right, you poured the CYA standard to the bottom of the label, then the test solution to the top of the label, shook, let sit for a bit, shook again?

Are both solutions new?

Looking back at your #1 post, you mention having "one gallon so going to use it". So according to the Poolmath calculator, one gallon of liquid gold should be able to increase CYA from zero to about 30 in your 12.5K gallon pool. But in your post #4 you mentioned expecting a CYA of 50? Did you add more than one gallon, or is it possible you expected the CYA test should look cloudier than it was, but since it only went to 30 you were disappointed? Math or expectations slightly off?

Reactions: Bluthgg
There is something wrong, then. Let’s do the CYA test with your own water, after you get CYA in there. Hopefully something has gone off with the standard, but the test solution will be fine.

- - - Updated - - -

Hi, Tex! The OP was using the CYA standard that comes with the test kit, that allows people to practice doing the test. The standard is supposed to mimic pool water at 50 CYA.

Yeah sorry about that. I posted this in my wrong CYA thread.

Im to the point with this CYA test that I think I’m going to do following. I want 70-80. I’m going to fill my test water to 80 and if the dot is clearly visible I know I haven’t reached the limit and will add enough stabilizer to give me 10 ppm increase. Will wait a few days and repeat. To me there is way way too much ambiguity in this test. I’m fairly confident three of us could do this test and all results would be different.

Is the Taylor cya test in the square vial any better? Not sure how it works just saw an image of it when I googled cya test

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I have only used the skinny test tube, so can’t help with that.

I know the test can be frustrating. One thing I’m not clear on - have you done the CYA test on your pool water yet? If so, what was the number?

My method is to prepare the sample as mentioned above, then outside in sunlight (with vial in shade of my body) I fill the tube to first line. Glance in, if I see dot, fill to next line and repeat. I undershoot what Pool Math tells me to add, just in case I have overestimated my pool volume. I’d much rather have to add more than deal with having added too much.

I don't use the standard solution, but when it comes to regular testing, this is my go-to process:
CYA Testing:
Proper lighting is critical for the CYA test, so you want to test for CYA outside on a bright sunny day. Taylor recommends standing outside with your back to the sun and the view tube in the shade of your body. Use the mixing bottle to combine/gently mix the required amounts of pool water and R-0013 reagent, let sit for 30 seconds, then gently mix again. Then, while holding the skinny tube with the black dot at waist level, begin squirting the mixed solution into the skinny tube. Watch the black dot until it completely disappears. If it helps, pour a little, look away, then look back and pour some more. Once it disappears, record the CYA reading. After the first test, you can pour the mixed solution from the skinny view tube back to the mixing bottle, shake, and do the same test a second, third, or fourth time to instill consistency in your technique, become more comfortable with the testing, and validate the CYA reading. If you are still questioning your own results, have a friend or two do the same test 2-3 times. Share your results only after everyone is done to see if you came up with the same average results.

The CYA test is, by far, the most subjective tests in the recommended test kits as it is a turbidity test rather than an endpoint test
The CYA standard is so you can adjust yourself to the standard, not the other way around. I trust the chemists at Taylor Technologies whom manufacture the standard.
You do not use any pool water to use the standard-it is the pool water. Fill a mixing bottle half of standard, half of R-0013 and pour to 50 ppm in whatever testing vial (view tube, comparator) you are using. That is what a CYA of 50 looks like. If you get no cloudiness with R-0013 and the standard, then something is wrong and PM or call me at 919-528-1454 and I will try my best to help. Please remember there is an error of margin with all these tests that fall well within industry standards.

i dumped a gallon of natural chemistry liquid stabilizer in my 9500 gallon pool thinking i’d get to 40ppm cya, but after two days it tested out at 30ppm. then i read on the label that it would add 30 ppm per 10k gallon pool. i guess pool math app doesn’t work with this product

I don’t know enough about liquid stabilizer to know if they come in different concentrations. If so, that would explain the variance from Pool Math.

But hey, it’s much better to undershoot on CYA - easier to add more than to take out too much!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.