Tulsa, OK
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Hayward Aqua Rite Pro (T-15)
Managed to get pipes repaired and filter cleaned yesterday. Everything started up and is running well. Tested for chlorine yesterday and had 0. Pool Math suggested a Slam with 2 gal of bleach added. Today, here are my numbers and the suggestions from Pool Math. Before I add any Stabilizer for a CYA jump or Calcium Chloride to get the CH up, I just want to check to see what you think.

Water temp 44
FC 12
CC .5
TA 110
CYA 30 - Pool Math suggests adding 2 lbs stabilizer (or can I use the few pucks left in the bucket to bring this up?)
PH 7.6
CH 300 -Pool Math suggests adding 11 lbs Calcium Chloride
CSI -0.23

When the numbers are so close to the recommended range, I am nervous about getting everything out of whack by adding too much/not enough.

Thanks for your help.

Your CH is fine.

For your CYA if the water temperature is below 70F degrees let the water warm up inside before you do the CYA test.

The standard instructions to mix for 30 seconds is not enough time when the water is cold. You can either mix longer, or allow the sample to warm up to room temperature. Best solution is to allow the the sample to warm up first and then shake it for 30 seconds.

Reactions: PaigeMark
Not sure you needed to raise to SLAM level FC but no harm done.
CH is fine. No need to add calcium. Higher water temperatures will raise the CSI some.
Wait a bit before adding any CYA. Test again in mid to late March when the water warms up.

I'll defer to the experts that already chimed in regarding the testing levels and timelines.

I will comment that I use pucks in a floater strictly for CYA. When mine gets over 40 and heading to 50, I pull the floater out. When it gets down to 30, I put the floater in. Seems to work well. I'm going to SWCG for 2021 so will likely need to make some adjustments to that practice though!

Andrew

Thank you! I’ll test again with room temp water and hold off on any additions. Appreciate the help. Good to know that those silly pucks might have a use one day.

Reactions: HeyEng
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.