Test strip recommendations

May 26, 2013
Ottawa, On, Canada
First, let me start that I have a Taylor test kit and use it. These strips are just too give me a very quick ballpark value in between testing with the better test. (I.e. make sure the chlorine isn't 0 or of the chart before someone wants to get in). If ever the strip gives me a reading I think might be off I revert to the Taylor kit, or if something looks wrong then again I use the Taylor kit.

Usually for my pool I use the HTH 6 way test strips I get at Walmart. They have the exact measurements I need (FC TC ALK PH CAL CYA), and they've been accurate enough for my needs (no values crazy off). I've been using them for my new hot tub, but I've been going through quite a few in the process of learning. I went to stock up again but Walmart's cleared out their entire stock for the season.
So I'm looking for recommendation of something new. What's the best of the worst?
P.s. bonus points if they're easy to get in Canada.

None are the best, all are the worst. Simple enough!

Seriously, get the idea of "ballpark" out of your head, the completely lack of precision is just part of their problem. They are also very prone to entirely incorrect results. When someone tests their tap water and claims it has 50 ppm CYA when there is zero CYA in tap water, that's not a "ballpark" reading.

If you want something other than the Taylor kit, get a cheap liquid kit from Walmart that will give you some quick glance numbers. Throw the test strips out.

I can understand the motto "throw out the test strips" when it comes to pools. Hot tubs (this is the spa forum after all) I find test strips can be handy for exactly what the OP is using for: occasionally quickly making sure FC hasn't crashed to 0.

OP: I strongly suspect the different little "reagent" bits on the ends of the strips are all the same stuff no matter the brand, so not sure theres going to be a "best" test strip out there.

occasionally quickly making sure FC hasn't crashed to 0.
Ok. So what happens if the FC has actually skyrocketed and is bleaching out the test strip to read zero. What happens then? The person continues adding chlorine but just can't get a chlorine reading...

Handy? That's the last thing I would call such an inconsistent and unreliable testing method. And I don't know if you think that these things magically work for spas when they don't work for pools, but they don't. I don't know if people in general think a small body of water is less important or easier to handle, but they are very much the opposite. A small body of very warm water is more difficult to maintain with small doses causing large results and failing to properly maintain it can more easily cause illness. I fail to see how that kind of situation is one in which being lax with your testing and care is considered the smart move.

I can understand the motto "throw out the test strips" when it comes to pools. Hot tubs (this is the spa forum after all) I find test strips can be handy for exactly what the OP is using for: occasionally quickly making sure FC hasn't crashed to 0.

OP: I strongly suspect the different little "reagent" bits on the ends of the strips are all the same stuff no matter the brand, so not sure theres going to be a "best" test strip out there.
I use the oto (k1000) part of my tf100 for the “is there chlorine in the water?” Test.
Funny story- used a hth strip the other day on the pool & spa, you know, to do a “quick check” - both read around 3ppm. I panicked!
ran the dpd/fas ...
pool was 11ppm fc, spa was 9.
I threw them in the trash- they not only didn’t save time - they made it take longer.

None are the best, all are the worst. Simple enough!

Seriously, get the idea of "ballpark" out of your head, the completely lack of precision is just part of their problem. They are also very prone to entirely incorrect results. When someone tests their tap water and claims it has 50 ppm CYA when there is zero CYA in tap water, that's not a "ballpark" reading.

If you want something other than the Taylor kit, get a cheap liquid kit from Walmart that will give you some quick glance numbers. Throw the test strips out.

OK Fair enough I feel like a simple drop kit would be a good compromise. Was thinking of getting the Taylor K-1000 but after looking they're nearly impossible to find in Canada. The only place I could find it wants $60 shipped for something that should be less than $20.
Are OTO tests fairly universal? I.E. if I went with something like this https://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/aquarius-complete-test-kit-for-chlorine-and-ph-0813053p.html or this https://www.homedepot.ca/product/hdx-hdx-5-way-test-kit/1001034911 would I be OK?

Are OTO tests fairly universal?
The OTO is, but the pH unfortunately is not. I've personally had that Home Depot kit and saw for myself that the pH test is not accurate when the FC is above 3 ppm. It's a shame because I really liked those color blocks, I don't know exactly why but I like the style better than the sticker on the Taylor one. The Aquarius one looks to be similar, but I have not tested it myself. Some pH tests are good up to around 5 ppm FC, if you can find an HTH one at Walmart (I know, tall order this time of year) then it's nearly identical to the k-1001. The Taylor pH test is good up to 10 ppm FC, it's well formulated.

But the OTO tests will be all about the same. Those are where "ballpark" really come in. Don't rely on it to give a very accurate number, but it can alert you to any issues arising. And the best part is that they never bleach out, they just get darker and darker with more chlorine.

Reactions: Mdragger88

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I have a pack of aqua chek that I got off amazon..FC and PH are close but the other stuff isn't..I have the Taylor 2006 also
For FC that are ballpark but other stuff is a guess...I know my SWG keeps FC almost exactly between 7 and 8 unless something happens and I use them just as a quick " yea I have FC"
I tried to return them when everything but FC was way off and amazon said just keep them.

For PH I use the taylor 1000

I've used the Clorox brand, red-yellow, OTO/pH kit quite a bit, because that's what I can pickup quickly when I run out of reagent or my reagent expires, and the only issue, as has been mentioned is that, if you need to keep FC above the 3-4 level to stay above the required FC/CYA ratio, and you test pH when FC is above that 3-4 level, you'll always get a result telling you that pH is high when it is likely not really high. So if your chemistry is such that you can let FC drop below 5 or so and keep a sanitized pool to test pH, a cheap red-yellow drop tester is consistent, cheap, quick, and easy. This year I over shot my target cya and was operating most of the Summer at 60, so I ordered a Taylor red-yellow drop kit. There is a huge difference with regards to how high you can test pH and get accuracy with respect to FC. I used them both this year, however, if I'm limited to the Chlorox brand, I can make it work. I'm a manual LC doser and pH is extremely stable in my pool, so it's not as big of a deal for me, but there is definitely a difference in the cheap brands versus Taylor with respect to the red drop reagent.

Ok. So what happens if the FC has actually skyrocketed and is bleaching out the test strip to read zero. What happens then? The person continues adding chlorine but just can't get a chlorine reading...

Handy? That's the last thing I would call such an inconsistent and unreliable testing method. And I don't know if you think that these things magically work for spas when they don't work for pools, but they don't. I don't know if people in general think a small body of water is less important or easier to handle, but they are very much the opposite. A small body of very warm water is more difficult to maintain with small doses causing large results and failing to properly maintain it can more easily cause illness. I fail to see how that kind of situation is one in which being lax with your testing and care is considered the smart move.
I didn't say they magically work for spas. I said in the context of spas. You kinda made my "quick check" point by saying there are far more "swings" possible in spas... but I won't argue.

To the OP: Apparently test strips are evil evil evil, don't tell you anything, ever, even if you have a good handle on your water with proper testing (and know that your FC is never anywhere near where it's going to bleach out the strip)... whoops sorry, end of story... I think I was supposed to say "go buy the TFP-100 kit, which you can't get in canada anyway... but sorry again for my transgression.

I'm not arguing, but relating my experience. I use test strips very occasionally to check my FC. Not to see whether it's 3.5 or 4.5. To see if it's 0. Which I can reliably see on the strip. IN MY EXPERIENCE. For all other more accurate requirements I completely agree that they aren't much use and I made no such claim earlier.

Cheers all, last time I reply to a question with my thoughts share my experiences for a while after that mud slinging... just a yucky feeling when folks put words in your mouth then attack...

Reactions: markayash
I didn't say they magically work for spas. I said in the context of spas. You kinda made my "quick check" point by saying there are far more "swings" possible in spas... but I won't argue.

To the OP: Apparently test strips are evil evil evil, don't tell you anything, ever, even if you have a good handle on your water with proper testing (and know that your FC is never anywhere near where it's going to bleach out the strip)... whoops sorry, end of story... I think I was supposed to say "go buy the TFP-100 kit, which you can't get in canada anyway... but sorry again for my transgression.

I'm not arguing, but relating my experience. I use test strips very occasionally to check my FC. Not to see whether it's 3.5 or 4.5. To see if it's 0. Which I can reliably see on the strip. IN MY EXPERIENCE. For all other more accurate requirements I completely agree that they aren't much use and I made no such claim earlier.

Cheers all, last time I reply to a question with my thoughts share my experiences for a while after that mud slinging... just a yucky feeling when folks put words in your mouth then attack...
I tried to find a strip just for PC and FC but all I can find are 75 in 1 type stuff :)
I use them just to make sure I have FC also. Use the Taylor most of the time but they are a quick “ yes I have Chlorine”
For other stuff like CYA they are junk. Been saying my CYA is 35 when it was around 40 and still says that now that’s 80 :)

Test strips are fairly reliable until you open the package. Once humidity gets in the bottle, or a drop of water from your finger, or drop of sweat off your brow, or... they are ruined. The pads will react to that moisture and take a reading of it. You then have a bottle of used test strips that will never give an accurate reading again. You probably won't notice from looking at the strips, so you blissfully adjust your chems based on false readings.
The only brand of test strip I recommend is the HTH that are individually packaged in cellophane, as they are protected from accidental moisture exposure.

Test strips are fairly reliable until you open the package. Once humidity gets in the bottle, or a drop of water from your finger, or drop of sweat off your brow, or... they are ruined. The pads will react to that moisture and take a reading of it. You then have a bottle of used test strips that will never give an accurate reading again. You probably won't notice from looking at the strips, so you blissfully adjust your chems based on false readings.
The only brand of test strip I recommend is the HTH that are individually packaged in cellophane, as they are protected from accidental moisture exposure.
Those are the ones i used a while back & subsequently threw away...

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.