Test Results

jigneshsoni

Jun 21, 2022
New Jersey
Attached are my test results. I want to learn as much as possible to maintain my pool using the TFP method. I would like to know what you think I need to do?

Following is what I think. Please let me know your thoughts?

1) Free Chlorine is low at just 0.1ppm. So this tells me I need chlorine. The question is should I use the the powder chlorine (Calcium Hypochloride) or should I use liquid (Sodium Hypochoride) How much do I need to bring the range to 1-4ppm. My pool is 28,000 gallons.

2) Hardness is almost at lower range. at 175ppm. Do I need to fix this? If I do then how?

3) Cyanuric Acid is low. It is at 19ppm. I need to be above 30ppm. What chemical should I use? How much?

4) In what order do I need to fix each of the above?

Edit: I added 4 Gallons of liquid chlorine (12%) just 2 days back. Not sure why would my FC still be at 0.1ppm

Attachments

• Water Test.jpeg
    Water Test.jpeg
    188.1 KB · Views: 46
Last edited:
Do you plan to do your own testing in the future? Pool store testing can be erratic and misleading. Please look at Test Kits Compared
One of the fundamental principles of TFP is to do your own testing and second it to use the FC/CYA Levels

You have a vinyl lining - did the pool store not mention that Calcium Hardness is NOT so critical with vinyl pools?

For low FC you do not need Cal-Hypo as that adds calcium with some chlorine. It would be better to use Liquid Chlorine which can be purchased at Menards, Walmart, and sometimes Home depot.

CYA is what holds the chlorine and prevents it being consumed by UV (the sun). Again refer to the FC-CYA chart. Ideally you should be in the 50 range for CYA. You can purchase either granular or liquid CYA (it is also called stabilizer).

Also, a useful tool is the PoolMath app. It can track your test results and guide you on what volume of chemical you need for your pool. For example a 28k gal pool will require 1 gal of 10% Liquid Chlorine (LC) to raise FC by 3.6ppm

You will initially need to test daily to verify the results you get based on what volumes are added.

CYA is critical to maintain your FC levels but either can be done in whichever order. Adding LC first will prevent any algae blooms from starting.

Thanks for your reply. I do intend to do my own testing in future. I already ordered the kit.
I edited my post with more information that I added 4 Gallons of liquid chlorine just 2 days back. Based on the math you provided this should have raised my FC to over 14ppm or maybe even more than that. But my FC still shows 0.1ppm. What do you think is happening? Where is the chlorine?

It is very difficult to maintain chlorine with a CYA of 20 (and who knows if that is correct?) You could also have algae beginning to bloom. I would suggest you add a gallon of 10% liquid chlorine to your pool each day until your kit gets to you. Then do all the tests and post them back. We'll help but we have to have numbers we can trust.

Thanks for your reply. I do intend to do my own testing in future. I already ordered the kit.
I edited my post with more information that I added 4 Gallons of liquid chlorine just 2 days back. Based on the math you provided this should have raised my FC to over 14ppm or maybe even more than that. But my FC still shows 0.1ppm. What do you think is happening? Where is the chlorine?
what is the percent of sodium hypochlorite on the LC jug?
If you truly only have CYA of 20ppm then the UV could be consuming it or you have algae forming (even though your pool looks clear).
Suggest you add at least 1 more gal if not 1 1/2 gals to get above 5ppm for FC.

It is very difficult to maintain chlorine with a CYA of 20 (and who knows if that is correct?) You could also have algae beginning to bloom. I would suggest you add a gallon of 10% liquid chlorine to your pool each day until your kit gets to you. Then do all the tests and post them back. We'll help but we have to have numbers we can trust.
I have had my water tested 2 times using the testing strips and 2 times at the pool store in last 7 days. All 4 of these results showed low on CYA. My kit will most likely arrive in 2-3 days. I might have a steep learning curve how to use it as well so I doubt I will get reliable numbers from that while I am still learning.

I am confused and concerned about the low CYA. I read it everywhere having this low will make pouring more chlorine useless. Let me know what you think? I appreciate your input.

Follow what Dave stated above, add 1 gallon of 10% liquid chlorine to your pool each day until you get your test kit and run a full set of test results.

So even after adding 0.75LBS of stabilizer and 2LBS of chlorine granules (calcium hypochlorite 68%) yesterday night, I still see no changes in FL or CYN this morning. Pump has been running continuously 24/7.
I am currently using test strips (Insta Test 6)

Water is kind of clear but a bit green and I am also seeing some Algae.

Anything I can do further or just wait for my test kit? I am worried my pool will quickly turn green with lot of algae blooming due to have so low FC.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
You're doing the right thing already by dosing with chlorine daily. Once you get that kit, post the results and we can give you specific suggestions. Read Please read "Pool Care Basics" up in Pool School and then read the SLAM article while waiting

Reactions: jigneshsoni
Which liquid chlorine is recommended by the TFP community? I have used the one that the local pool store sells. It says "Super Shock" on it. It is marked to have 12.5% of Sodium Hypochlorite on it. They sell it for $7.50 for a Gallon can.

I was wondering what are all options for me? I keep hearing about bleach and buying it from Walmart. Are those options for me? I have a Vinyl 28K gallon pool. I also have Hayward pool heater.

Liquid chlorine is bleach is shock is chlorinating liquid .....

Your pool store LC is pretty expensive. In New Jersey look for an Ocean State Job Lots. They sell LC cheaper. Walmart is fine too.

Reactions: jigneshsoni
how many gallons of chlorine do you buy at a time? I wonder if storing too many of them is unsafe? Also the shelf life of it, can you use the unused chlorine next year? Just planning things to ensure I have everything I need for the full season.

Also what are most used chemicals used besides chlorine? Is there value in stocking them so they can be applied quickly when needed and avoid making a trip to the store?

I would not get more than you can store in a climate controlled area. A couple weeks worth maybe.

You might have a gallon of acid if you need to lower pH during the season. Store that outside in a plastic bucket with lid. Do not store in garage or shed with metal items in it.

CYA Stabilizer is not a bad thing to have a bag of around. Get it off Amazon.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.