Test chemical expiration dates

bjaspan

Mar 12, 2021
Boston, MA
I have a Taylor K-1000 test kit purchased and used (for an above ground pool) in 2021. The two chemical bottles say "Best by 11/22." We are renting an Airbnb with a pool next week. Based on a poor experience we had in December at a different rented house, I want to bring my own test kit this time. My question is: Will these chemicals still give accurate readings?

I also have a SwimWorks pool test kit purchased for $5, also in 2021, but it is unopened. Might that be better because the bottles are unopened?

Thanks,
Barry

Just my $0.02 worth . . . Even if you test the rental, are you prepared to adjust, or just confirm you better not go in the water? If they maintain per industry/store standards, you might be in for the "shock" of not being in control of the sanitation process (?) :unsure:

Reactions: Newdude
The chemicals have been stored in a cool, dry basement storage room.

I do not plan to adjust the pool water, nor will I have authority to. But if the readings are way off, yes we won't go in, and maybe we can use the data to get the pool company they use to come adjust it.

I always think about the motel pools ... how many people use them without second thoughts. (I believe there are a couple of threads here about horror stories.) At least you know the drill. Good thinking. :goodjob:

The chemicals have been stored in a cool, dry basement storage room.

I do not plan to adjust the pool water, nor will I have authority to. But if the readings are way off, yes we won't go in, and maybe we can use the data to get the pool company they use to come adjust it.
I would not tattle based on old reagents. Pool company's first question should be to ask about the age of the reagents.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.