Temporary pool fence or "My Daughter's Labrador is insane"

Pprior

Gold Supporter
Feb 14, 2018
Englewood, FL
We chose not to get the drilled in pool fence when we installed our IG pool d/t not wanting to see the little plugs on our expensive travertine.

Then our daughter came to visit with her Labrador retriever. The dog literally would not come out of the pool. Swam for HOURS and ended up with bloody feet from jumping in and out over and over again. As soon as she was let out of the garage she would RUN for the back lanai and sit waiting until she could get inside again.

Dog / Daughter coming again to visit in a few weeks. We would like to be able to have the dog on the lanai but keep her out of the pool at least part of the time.

Is there any way / device to do this? It seems from a liability standpoint that temporary pool fence/blockers aren't a thing, I get that. But the consequences of my lab getting in are not the same as a two year old.

We should have just drilled the holes, but the COO said no to that....

What type of fence do you think is going to stop a determined lab?

No anchors = no fence.

Keep him on a leash.

Reactions: proavia
Gotta love a lab. Best dog I ever had. My opinion is let him swim. Dogs need vacations too! ?
That said, any temporary fencing that can stop a determined lab is going to be pricey. Maybe a dog run?

What type of fence do you think is going to stop a determined lab?

No anchors = no fence.

Keep him on a leash.

He’s actually well behaved, if there is a fence he won’t get past it. He is invisible fence trained and learns boundaries quickly. A leash is not an option for when we want to be hanging out and just letting the dog be free - he has to live and have a space to exist.

Gotta love a lab. Best dog I ever had. My opinion is let him swim. Dogs need vacations too! ?
That said, any temporary fencing that can stop a determined lab is going to be pricey. Maybe a dog run?

Oh we let him swim. But last time he was there he would jump in after his toys, bring them back and then jump back in again for hours and just swim around. His paws were bleeding and raw. He just wouldn’t stop. We were hoping we could have him back there and on the Lanai with us for dinner etc without him having to be in the pool. Doesn’t seem to be an easy answer (I didn’t think so, but thought I would ask smarter pool people than myself just in case).

My son thought buying some doggie boots would work but I’m afraid he’ll get some kind of paw-rot from having them on for hours and feet constantly soaked in water.

He’s actually well behaved, if there is a fence he won’t get past it. He is invisible fence trained and learns boundaries quickly.

Then it is what barrier will he psychologically respect versus a physical barrier.

We opted for the field training collar (aka shock collar) instead of the invisible fence because we couldn’t take the invisible fence with us to my moms house, or the beach. It’s basically the same collar but with a remote control clicker. An on demand invisible fence if you will. Great for calling the dog back to lay under the table while you guys eat.

or put down a temporary outdoor carpet in the area that the dog uses and let him enjoy every last second at your house.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
We opted for the field training collar (aka shock collar) instead of the invisible fence because we couldn’t take the invisible fence with us to my moms house, or the beach. It’s basically the same collar but with a remote control clicker. An on demand invisible fence if you will. Great for calling the dog back to lay under the table while you guys eat.

or put down a temporary outdoor carpet in the area that the dog uses and let him enjoy every last second at your house.
Just make sure the collar is waterproof! Some of the cheap ones aren't.
Carpet is a great idea.

I was going to suggest a tie out to let the dog have some freedom in the backyard, but just away from the water. I like the carpet idea too.

It's funny...I have the exact opposite problem. I WISH that our dogs would swim like that! lol We have three and when we decided to buy a home with a pool, we were so excited, envisioning the dogs doing what you describe your daughter's lab does....well, sans bloody paws, of course. Nope! Not one of them will go into the pool for the most part.

One of our dogs fell in twice by accident within the first few days of moving in, so she now has no desire to set foot in it. One of them won't even go outside if we're in the pool ( :rolleyes: ) the third will go in, but only as deep as the second step and only when she gets hot from playing fetch in the summer.

Two of our dogs DO enjoy splashing around in the baby pool, so for most of the summer, we keep it filled with fresh water right next to the big pool. The two-leggeds can float in the big pool, while the four-leggeds can have their fun too. I suppose I'm not completely heartbroken that I don't have to deal with the hair of three dogs in my pool, but I had hoped it would be something they would enjoy too!

You can DIY some fence sections with 2x4s or PVC. Use something like garden screen or construction screening. For the PVC, you can get some of those cross fittings and make an X on the bottom with a pole sticking up.

You can also call a fence rental company. They have fence sections that will free stand. Or try a party rental place. They may have those pretty white picket fence sections for parties or weddings.

May not be the prettiest solutions, but they are practical ones.

Reactions: Newdude
It's funny...I have the exact opposite problem. I WISH that our dogs would swim like that! lol We have three and when we decided to buy a home with a pool, we were so excited, envisioning the dogs doing what you describe your daughter's lab does....well, sans bloody paws, of course. Nope! Not one of them will go into the pool for the most part.

One of our dogs fell in twice by accident within the first few days of moving in, so she now has no desire to set foot in it. One of them won't even go outside if we're in the pool ( :rolleyes: ) the third will go in, but only as deep as the second step and only when she gets hot from playing fetch in the summer.

Two of our dogs DO enjoy splashing around in the baby pool, so for most of the summer, we keep it filled with fresh water right next to the big pool. The two-leggeds can float in the big pool, while the four-leggeds can have their fun too. I suppose I'm not completely heartbroken that I don't have to deal with the hair of three dogs in my pool, but I had hoped it would be something they would enjoy too!
I am guessing none of them are labs? I have never met a lab who didn't love to swim, they were bred to retrieve ducks in water, and decended from dogs bred to retrieve nets (and people) from the ocean. Mine would dive under and get rocks you threw in the river. How she found the right rock I will never understand, but she did.

I am guessing none of them are labs? I have never met a lab who didn't love to swim, they were bred to retrieve ducks in water, and decended from dogs bred to retrieve nets (and people) from the ocean. Mine would dive under and get rocks you threw in the river. How she found the right rock I will never understand, but she did.
Well, the one that fell in is part lab, but apparently not the swimming part! haha The one that hides in the house is a Catahoula and the one that goes on the stairs is a bluetick coonhound mix. My cousins always had labs and pools growing up and they couldn't keep them out of it either!

My cousins always had labs and pools growing up and they couldn't keep them out of it either!
A buddy had a chocolate lab and my arm would hurt an hour later throwing the ball in the pool. The dog just wouldn’t quit. So one day I got the bright idea to go up to the second story deck and throw it from there. Up/down the stairs and pool swim to retrieve ball. THAT will tire him out for sure !!! Yeah...... no. An hour later of that and my stubborn butt finally admitted defeat.

I have a two year old Westie. When she was four months old (April), I started taking her in the pool so she would be comfortable swimming and know how to get out of the pool. Fast forward to November (11 months old) and she continues to go for a swim despite cold weather and 50-60 degree water.

I happened to have several six foot metal fence posts and used the following to setup a temporary fence for winter:
8 six foot metal posts
8 umbrella bases (seven from Lowes)
4 dog pens (Chewys - Frisco model)
A pvc towel rack
A few large landscape block and brinks
Lots of zip ties

It was not exactly a beautiful addition, but worked well for the five months we needed it. You will see our girl inspecting the fence line for an opening in the photo. Fortunately, we only needed it one season. She now realizes when it's too cold...usually.

fence-temp.jpg

Reactions: Newdude
A buddy had a chocolate lab and my arm would hurt an hour later throwing the ball in the pool. The dog just wouldn’t quit. So one day I got the bright idea to go up to the second story deck and throw it from there. Up/down the stairs and pool swim to retrieve ball. THAT will tire him out for sure !!! Yeah...... no. An hour later of that and my stubborn butt finally admitted defeat.
I had a friends dog like that. I brought out a Lacrosse ball one time, (they sink) thinking that it would end the game quick.
Boy was I wrong! To my amazement the dog went to the bottom of the pool and got it!
All I ended up accomplishing was adding a new twist to his favorite game! :)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.