Temporary (and easy) way to block pool return jets

NickJ

Jun 29, 2015
Columbia/SC
Can anyone tell me if there is an easy way to block pool return jets (with the eyeballs left in place) temporarily while I work on the piping? It seems like there should be a way to place soft rubber "mats" or something over those supply jets and let the water pressure hold them in place. My pool equipment is below water level and I need to drill holes in the return line to install a chlorine erosion feeder. Thanks for any help, Nick.

When I had to do the same, I ran to Lowe's and just grabbed a bag of these... rubber drain plugs:
1566918676102.png
Cost was like $2.50 and the bag came with 5 different sized stoppers so I could mess with which fit best. Not sure what your eyeball size is, but this worked like a champ for me.

Thank you. Just to be sure I understand you plugged them into the eye ball openings, right, leaving them as is?

That's what I've done. For a different purpose (occasionally cleaning the strainer bowl on the pump), but one of the plugs in the bag fit the eyeball perfectly. Not a drop of water after the initial water in the lines runs out.

I found a larger one that also fits in the bottom of my skimmer bowl to plug both the in and out to isolate the pump completely..... at least until this winter, when I plan to add another ball valve in both of those lines.

Search for Swimming Pool Winterizing Plugs. The expandable ones. Just be sure to check the size.

I suggest your read How to Chlorinate Your Pool - Trouble Free Pool before installing a trichlor feeder.
Thanks. I am trying to avoid winterizing plugs since they require removing the eye ball fittings which I hope to avoid. The work should take less than an hour so a little leakage can be tolerated if its just a slow seepage.

I am well aware of the constant battle of too much CYA versus too much hardness as I have switched back and forth between trichlor and grannually added hypo over the years. I have tried to find liquid chlorine locally but can't (not economically) and as attractive as salt is I decided against it due to the corrosive nature of the salt. Beadcrete does not recommend it for at least the first 6 months so I decided it should be avoided completely on old pools like mine. Believe me I have almost given up and caved in to a salt generator but I devised a way to partially drain the pool without dropping the water level. (Balancing water input at the bottom with bottom drain closed and water drained off the top skimmer lines using two flowmeters over a 12 hour period for a 20% water change.)

I decided that a 20% drain when needed was my best option. I am also installing an ozone generator which "should" lower my trichlor consumption (and therefore CYA build-up) but that remains to be seen. I realize this may not be the best solution for others.

Another article to read - Alternative sanitizers and "chemical free" pools--The Truth!

The salt level for a SWCG is no more corrosive than the salt build up that will occur using trichlor. You natural climate in your area is far more corrosive than the low level of salinity in the pool water.

Good luck.

That's what I've done. For a different purpose (occasionally cleaning the strainer bowl on the pump), but one of the plugs in the bag fit the eyeball perfectly. Not a drop of water after the initial water in the lines runs out.

I found a larger one that also fits in the bottom of my skimmer bowl to plug both the in and out to isolate the pump completely..... at least until this winter, when I plan to add another ball valve in both of those lines.
Thanks. I really appreciate that and plan a trip to Lowes.

I have looked everywhere on the web including (Lowes) for the assortment of 5 plugs but can't find them and the Peerless assortments of 3 have diameters much larger than I would think necessary to plug the eye ball hole. It's about 3/4', right? They have plugs separately but often don't list their diameters. How long ago did you find yours? I wonder if Lowes has them but not on their website? But I couldn't find them at Amazon or Walmart or anywhere Google searches in an assortment of 5. Do you recall the brand. Lowes now sells Danco but the Danco site doesn't list an assortment of 5.

Wish I could confirm, but my memory doesn't last that long. I bought them this Spring, and would have sworn it was at Lowe's, but it's also entirely possible that I found them at Home Depot, Menards, or True Value as well, since i shop all of them on occasion.

You could always measure the inside eye diameter, and then just buy several sizes all in that approx. range and see which fits. Return the others, or just toss in a junk drawer for something down the road... individually they can't me more than a buck or so a piece(?).

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.